cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Smart Talk on S3 unable to make calls and other problems

I installed BT Smart Talk on my Galaxy S3 some three weeks ago. I would phone a number using alternatively Wi-Fi and Data and I hear nothing, the recipient of the phone call hears the phone ring out but hears no sound when answering. I am with T-Mobile and they and BT claim it is the others problem. Today my S3 indicated there was an update and I clicked on Manual update and I was offered the un-install option and nothing else. I uninstalled BT Smart Talk and then re-installed. I attempted to log on to my BT account and it was indicated that I had the wrong User or Password entered. I KNOW that I entered the correct user name and  password.  It still insisted that I had entered the incorrect information. I then tried to create a fresh user name and password but it was then indicated that the BT Smart Talk was associated with the previous user and that the previous user should be informed and change the detail on their BT account. I am the previous owner. I cannot find on my BT account the detail for Smart Talk to make any possible modifications. The S3 displayed the second page showing the home number to call for verification and I cannot go forward or back - the only option has been to force the app to close and then uninstall.

I wonder as to the bother of all of this?

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Smart Talk on S3 unable to make calls and other problems

from your previous post there was a problem with t mobile and smarttalk and someone else found a solution using VPN.  did it not work for you?  is there no smarttalk 'tile' your MYBT?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

There is a tile, or there was until I uninstalled it. I did not want to go down the alternative course as if Smart Talk does not work from within its own environment I do not wish to create possible other problems with add ons. I feel that the app by itself should be able to do what it says on the tin without external help to the app.

My problem is that re-installing Smart Talk defaults to the interrupted new login with the accomanying lockup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

again from previous post the problem is with tmobile as it appears to work with all the other mobile suppliers

did you try the smarttalk helpline to get MYBT sorted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 20

try outting into filght mode

then go via your wifi

you should be able to use the smarttalk

if it works via filght mode and wifi then it is T-mobile sim card blocking voip calls ????

I went to the usa in feb I had my phone unlocked from orange  and put a USA t-mobile sim card in saved on roaming costs.

it asked to register but putting to flight mode then wifi stopped it looking for the sim card

was able to make smarttalk calls via wifi back to the uk

Saved a lot of money

Try this way and see what happens

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

With T-Mobile P.A.Y.G.

Smart Talk removed from BT account.

Reinstalled BT Smart Talk.

Works with Wi-Fi but not with Data.

Flight mode does not allow Data.

I also found that with Smart Talk in place Bluetooth did not work with my car system.

Conclusion: despite T-Mobile stating that they do not block Smart Talk - They must. Any further comments on this?

I have decided to remove the app and just not bother

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

wunay said "Conclusion: despite T-Mobile stating that they do not block Smart Talk - They must. Any further comments on this?"

I've been trying to study t-mobile's descriptions of their various plans. So far as I can see all plans apart from the Full Monty do NOT allow voip calls - therefore presumably do not allow SmartTalk to make calls over G3. But on the Full Monty there is no mention of voip calls being banned, so presumably they should work.

I'm getting a Galaxy S3 with t-mobile Full Monty in the next few days. I'm interested to see if I am able to use SmartTalk.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

jpadeutsch

It beggars the question in respect of Smart Talk AND T-Mobile - Does any user of T-Mobile have Smart Talk working both in Wi-Fi AND Mobile Data?

If so what package are they on?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

I now have my S3 all set up. I confirm that I can make BT SmartTalk calls on both WiFi and Mobile Data. I am on the  T-Mobile Full Monty 26 package - latest version. This is a monthly package with a phone, NOT the SIM only version (there could be a difference between the two).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

I'm paying £10 a month on Pay as You Go to T-Mobile and neither Skype nor BT Smarttalk work over my supposedly "unlimited" internet package. Contacting T-Mobile I was informed that they block VoIP on all PAYG accounts. I'm not in a position to sign up to a contract, nor should I have to!

To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. They advertise it as unlimited, I pay for unlimited. What T-Mobile supply is most definitely limited - it renders the otherwise excellent BT Smarttalk app useless to me.

I'm hoping the European Commission may eventually bar such uncompetitive practises, but I'll not hold my breath.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/comment/europe-needs-dutch-coverage-over-net-neutrality-78734
♦ Purveyor of paw based punditry on Twitter where I don the doggy disguise of DawkinsDog ♦
0 Ratings