Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Smart Talk on S3 unable to make calls and other problems

@DawkinsDog wrote:
I'm paying £10 a month on Pay as You Go to T-Mobile and neither Skype nor BT Smarttalk work over my supposedly "unlimited" internet package. Contacting T-Mobile I was informed that they block VoIP on all PAYG accounts. I'm not in a position to sign up to a contract, nor should I have to!

To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. They advertise it as unlimited, I pay for unlimited. What T-Mobile supply is most definitely limited - it renders the otherwise excellent BT Smarttalk app useless to me.

I'm hoping the European Commission may eventually bar such uncompetitive practises, but I'll not hold my breath.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/comment/europe-needs-dutch-coverage-over-net-neutrality-78734

switch to giff gaff for the same cost and no contract and get benefit of skype and smarttalk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

I pay Tesco £10 a month for 500/5000/500 and have problems using SmartTalk over 3G. As imj says, it may be time for a change.  

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

I'm thinking I may well do that, though it means waving a paw to over £110 of credit I've built up over the years. The irony is that if I went to somebody else I'd get sufficient inclusive minutes to not need the BT SmartTalk service anyway.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

♦ Purveyor of paw based punditry on Twitter where I don the doggy disguise of DawkinsDog ♦
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 20

@DawkinsDog wrote:

I'm thinking I may well do that, though it means waving a paw to over £110 of credit I've built up over the years. The irony is that if I went to somebody else I'd get sufficient inclusive minutes to not need the BT SmartTalk service anyway.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

Thats true of many of us.  That being said; you might find yourself in an area in the UK where there is wi fi but no mobile signal and the app is then useful. Equally so if you go abroad and find wi fi as a means of calling the UK at little/no cost.  Thats when the app is useful for me.  Also for those who are on PAYG mobile who want to use wi fi as a means of calling UK land-lines.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Given my situation as a long term carer, and my own health issues, it's highly unlikely I'd be needing to use it abroad.

From my experience with T-Mobile, and to be fair to them, the coverage around here in North London is pretty good, rarely have I found myself in a dead zone, which is why access to BT SmartTalk would have been so handy - WiFi hotspots around here aren't as easy to track down, certainly when trying to phone home to check how things are from the middle of a supermarket lol

Ah well, these things will sort themselves out eventually, they usually do if I ignore them until they go away.
♦ Purveyor of paw based punditry on Twitter where I don the doggy disguise of DawkinsDog ♦
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 20

I might be missing something, but can't see how you have £110 credit on a PAYG deal, or if you have why you can't use it up.

Whatever the answer, you certainly seem not to be getting the best tenner's worth for you. As AQ points out, there are other uses for SmartTalk even if you have sufficient included minutes; another one is 08 numbers which would be free or a lot cheaper.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 17 of 20

as far as i am aware most of the carriers block voip on their networks, the only one i know for sure (?) are 3, they do allow the use of skype etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 20

@soapy wrote:

as far as i am aware most of the carriers block voip on their networks, the only one i know for sure (?) are 3, they do allow the use of skype etc

Pleased to be able to say that I know VM and zerotwo allow VOIP from first hand experience. The former also allow Skype calls Smiley Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 20

I can confirm O² (via Tesco). Vodafone worked for my wife when we first tried SmartTalk but I don't think she's used it since.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 20

SmartTalk works fine for me on T-Mobile Full Monty monthly contract. I believe that it does not work on their Pay as you go packages.