Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 56

Re: Smart hub keeps restarting

if you can hear noise on quiet line test then you need to report a phone fault NOT broadband to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 56

I rang 151, they did a test, said there was no noise and booked an engineer for Friday. Should I tell the engineer about the hub restarting?

Cheers,
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 56

As phone fault just get engineer to fix the line noise and broadband should then improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 56

The engineer came today and did some tests. They all passed. So he suggested getting a replacement hub. So I guess it's either the hub or an intermittent line issue. I've swapped to a spare filter I found to see if that helps.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 56

Router just reset again, so it's not the filter. Uptime was 2 days which is a record.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 56

Got into BT support, they opened a complaint. But then told me I needed to split my WiFi channels. I explained my router was resetting when I'm not there, therefore no WiFi devices are connected but this didn't seem to sink in. So I've split the channels for now. Seriously considering buying my owns VDSL router now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 56

@zobbo wrote:
 Seriously considering buying my owns VDSL router now.

It may save you a lot of hassle, and only cost about £30. It would prove what the fault is. If its not the line, it has to be the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 28 of 56

@zobbo wrote:

Hi Guys,

I've now got a BT corded phone (BT Duo 210 v2). I plugged it in yesterday in the hope it would magically resolve my issues but unfortunately the router reset today anyway, after about 1 day of uptime (currently a record). So I did a quiet line test using the standard socket (plugged in directly, no broadband connected/filter). I also tried it on the test socket. I could hear white noise/hissing at a low level in the background during the entire call (i.e. as soon as the automated response started). I wasn't sure if that was just the phone amplification or whether it actually is the line. In any case there was no noticeable difference between the sockets. What do you think?

Cheers,

Zobbo

You MUST use a filter for the phone, it is there to filter out the digital broadband signal. It will sound similar to the sound you used to get from a fax machine.

The filter is there so that you can use the RJ11 lead to connect the broadband router but more importantly to stop the broadband signal interfering with your phone line.

Don't know why no-one informed you of that earlier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 56

Got a replacement smart hub today. I noticed it's a Type A whereas my original one is a type b. Also this one says the firmware was updated today, my last one was dated 2016. Anyway, I'll see if it can manage more than 2 days uptime. The data rate seems slightly higher aswell.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 56

Are you sure thats a smart hub? the mac address is registered to the Arcadyan Corporation where as all the hubs ive had have been from Sagemcom Broadband SAS.

The firmware version you have there looks more like a home hub 5b

I belive the smarthub B is ment for FTTP as well as it has one of the lan ports converted to a wan port instead or have i missed a new supplyier for the smarthubs?

I would recommend getting the bt wifi (bt fon) turned off as well if you dont use bt hotspots when out, on my hub it made things much more stable.

EDIT: sorry put wrong hub down

0 Ratings