cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shughes_uk
Message 1 of 18

Smart talk activation with no landline phone.

Hi

I subscribe to bt broadband and as part of that package get some bt phone line stuff. I dont actually only a physical telephone so can't connect one to the line. The BT Smart Talk app is trying to call me on my land line number to give me my activation pin but I don't have a phone to connect to recieve the call!

I would really like to use bt smart talk but don't want to go buy a physical telephone. Help?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Smart talk activation with no landline phone.

Its part of the security process, so you will have to borrow/buy a phone. A basic phone is very cheap.

0 Ratings
shughes_uk
Message 3 of 18

So I have to pay for a physical phone I will never ever use ....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

I am sure you could just borrow one from someone for a very short time. Also, having a phone is useful if your broadband line goes down, as you can check for dial-tone, which can help to pinpoint where the problem is.

There is no other option.

A basic corded phone is only £4.28 from Argos and other retailers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

when you try and connedct with your mobile say you are not at home and should send pin to your mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shughes_uk
Message 6 of 18

It says I need to be at home and offers to set a reminder to set it up when I get home.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

don't know why you are having this problem as my pin and many others was sent direct to my mobile - android phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 18

@imjolly wrote:

don't know why you are having this problem as my pin and many others was sent direct to my mobile - android phone

There could a glitch.......:|

I had the automated call with a pin, which differed to the first text message sent to my wife's android phone, whereby the phone (with the app open) froze and another text came through to the phone with a third pin.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

My guess is that there is something on the initial registration on My BT that does not match up, so a security check has been initiated to confirm that the landline number is correct.

Perhaps this only happens to users that create an account on MY BT, purely so they can use SmartTalk. Normally new accounts on My BT have to be validated, before you can use them for bills etc. This used to be done by sending a letter with an activation code.

By placing a call to the PSTN number, it stops people registering SmartTalk to someone elses phone number.

We did not get that problem as we were already registered on MY BT for billing. Someone who does not make phone calls, probably would not bother to do this.

0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

On my first phone I registered I used the "My BT" account we've had for ages & I still had to use landline to receive the first pin then mobile for second.

On the second phone after generating the new "My BT" login the procedure was exactly the same.

Were all of you guys who didn't have to use the landline pin the people who were on the trial?
0 Ratings