cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Smart talk activation with no landline phone.

@GARRY_AND_SUSIE wrote:
On my first phone I registered I used the "My BT" account we've had for ages & I still had to use landline to receive the first pin then mobile for second.

On the second phone after generating the new "My BT" login the procedure was exactly the same.

Were all of you guys who didn't have to use the landline pin the people who were on the trial?

Most likely, as the full security checks were not in place then, even the website did not work. We were just trialling the application.

I cannot imagine BT allowing new users, without first confirming that the landline details are correct.

Forcing people to answer the phone, fulfills this requirement, as its possible that someone could get access to another persons details, and register SmartTalk without the account owner being aware right away.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

My two registrations required the use of a landlne

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

>I would really like to use bt smart talk but don't want to go buy a
>physical telephone. Help?

Couple of thoughts if you are so against buying a phone.
1st one definitely would work and would be free if it's the purchase that's putting you off, but it may be beyond your hardware / hassle factor.

1) If your PC is old enough to have a modem installed connect that to your normal phone socket on your filter & set the PC up as an answering machine to record the call.

2) Put a divert on your line to your mobile, guide / links in this post here.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Setting-up-Call-Divert-also-date-has-passed-no-contact-or-info/m-p...

This will cost you money & I don't know if there's a minimum time to sign up for the calling feature. + the cost of the diverted call to take into account.

Buying a phone & putting it in a draw for emergency use would be my recommendation.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Further to Garry and Susie's point; why not just borrow one from a relative/friend/neighbour.  You'll only need it for no more than 5/10 minutes assuming the sign up works ok.

That said, a handset for under a fiver 'just in case' is probably not too bad an idea.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

@AllanQuatermain wrote:

Further to Garry and Susie's point; why not just borrow one from a relative/friend/neighbour.  You'll only need it for no more than 5/10 minutes assuming the sign up works ok.

That said, a handset for under a fiver 'just in case' is probably not too bad an idea.

Good idea:)

At least by having a phone and making the minimum amount of calls that BT state on their T&C's, you won't be paying the extra charge for not using the phone - can't remember how much that is, but it would be on your bill.

The calls can be part of the free time offered by BT.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Message 16 of 18

@DS, I'd forgotten that.  If the OP doesnt make landline calls it adds to the bill.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 18

DS wrote:

At least by having a phone and making the minimum amount of calls that BT state on their T&C's, you won't be paying the extra charge for not using the phone - can't remember how much that is, but it would be on your bill.

That's only if you get a cut price with Line Rental Saver or have certain add-ons (eg Caller Display), isn't it?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 18

@pottyperson wrote:

@DS wrote:

That's only if you get a cut price with Line Rental Saver or have certain add-ons (eg Caller Display), isn't it?

Probably:), can't remember:(

(and tbh cba to check;))

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings