cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

SmartTalk app. When sat at home and I call a mobile, what processes the call?

Go to solution

Ok so I got the SmartTalk app but cannot seem to find an answer to this question.

I'm sat at home, connected to my router, and call my wife's mobile. Does the call get routed through my home calling plan (which costs to call mobiles) ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: SmartTalk app. When sat at home and I call a mobile, what processes the call?

Go to solution

Hmm just found the answer

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/Mobile-call-charges-while-using-BT-Smarttalk/td-p/1571416

NOT what I wanted to read - time to uninstall the app. Man Mad

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Re: SmartTalk app. When sat at home and I call a mobile, what processes the call?

Go to solution

ShamblesX wrote:

NOT what I wanted to read - time to uninstall the app.

SmartTalk simply charges the call as if you had made it at the same time from your home phone. You obviously now understand that it's therefore no use at home, but I don't see why you want to uninstall the app when it can be useful in other circumstances. For many the best is calling the UK from abroad - absolutely free at an appropriate time within your home phone calling plan. There can be surprises too. The other day I was stuck on a train for 2 hours in the back of beyond with no mobile signal and needed to make an urgent call; problem solved with SmartTalk via the train's free wifi. A very useful app.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Can the routing be turned off automatically when at home, without any interaction from me? I just know I'd forget to switch it off.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Normal mobile calls won't be routed via the internet even if you leave SmartTalk open. It's probably best to close it when not required though, and there's an information icon to remind you. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

Normal mobile calls won't be routed via the internet even if you leave SmartTalk open.

Isn't that a contradiction of what you said earlier?

I'm seeing a scenario where I'm out and about and connected to a BT hotspot when I decide to make a call. Rather than using my included minutes the call is directed via wifi and I get charged.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

you need to select smarttalk to use it - it won't happen automatically when you try using your mobile phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

you need to select smarttalk to use it - it won't happen automatically when you try using your mobile phone

Well that's interesting. I haven't read that anywhere. My understanding from what I have read, is that the app assumes control of the routing.

So, maybe I will reinstate the app and give it a thorough seeing-to.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

unless the last update made a change I had to select the smarttalk app to be able to use it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I don't see any contradiction of my first post but, just to be sure, I've had a quick fiddle with my phone. Even with wifi connected and the SmartTalk app running, all normal attempts to make a call (whether from call history, contacts or the phone icon) default to the native dialler. The only way to make a SmartTalk call is, as imj says, to tap the app icon.

--