cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Smarthub 2 wifi range v poor. Should I reinstall Homehub5?

I have had broadband problems. BT Engineer said it was a Openreach issue. Openreach said that BT engineer did not check Homehub5 and ordered a replacement. I installed SH2 and on working my way through WiFi password changes (18 so far) I found that smart devices which SH5 had no problems with were not working. WiFi sweetspot ap confirmed abysmally poor range. These devices need little speed to run. I turned wifi cloning on on a couple of powerline adaptors (used primarily for ethernet) which got some working. Others are outside of SH2 range. Assuming SH2 is simply bad at this and BT just want to sell extenders, I seem to have 2 options. Reinstall HH5 and maybe have other problems or get some more powerline adaptors. I am not going to buy anything from BT, in my experience they will fail (the HH5 was a replacement for another failed HH).  Any thoughts on this? In all of this sorry tale my broadband is still poor, from bitter experience its almost certainly a copper wire issue.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smarthub 2 wifi range v poor. Should I reinstall Homehub5?

Having used the hh5/6/sh2 I find the wifi better on the sh2 but some may find problems with the 2.4/5ghz networks combined and unable to split

from what you are describing you obviously didn't just change the sh2 SSID to that of the hh5 and password as hh5 and that way all devices would connect without all the changes

did you turn off smart setup in SH2?

if still problems then use the hh5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.

I was unaware that you just change the network ID to get going, although I have since seen somewhere that you can't do this with SH2. I don't know what smart setup does. There is no BT manual/documentation for this box beyond a blue flimsy. I am not an idiot, I have had a wifi and ethernet setup for 10+ years but I think that this sort of stuff should just work. I don't open the back of a TV set or lift the bonnet of a new car.

Anyway the wifi gets not much further than the room where the thing sits. The supposedly faulty HH5 reached the whole property without the wifi adaptors  operating. Also outside to garage, shed and down the garden albeit not fast but suitable for purpose. I have ordered some more wi fi adaptors for my powerline setup which won't be wasted if/when I reinstate HH5.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

if you go into hub manager you will see smart setup but here is some help

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings