cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spectrumrob
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Smarthub Samba Dlna

I've just set up my new smart hub and attached my usb drive with all my media on it but I can't see anything on any of my media players ie ps3 or Xbox. They are connected to it and can contact the outside world it's the inner world they cannot see. Does this router support media sharing from connected drives or have I got to get a nas drive attached to it? Very frustrating as older less modern routers will do it.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smarthub Samba Dlna

AFAIK, there's no dlna support on BT Hub hardware of any kind.

You are better off with a standalone server, raspberry pi. Time spent server media, doing USB I/O etc, is all cycles away from the main job of being a router.

0 Ratings
Spectrumrob
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Would a hh4 do the job? I have a friend who has a spare one.
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

You can try, but not likely as far as I understand it.

0 Ratings
Spectrumrob
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks. No harm in trying.
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 6 of 8

All of the hubs with a USB port will support sharing files via samba so they show us a network drive on windows and can also be mapped on apple or linux. However none of them support DNLA or uPNP for media streaming. If you want to stream media you will need to find an alternative solution. Either a different router for example ASUS routers allow you to use DNLA and stream media from USB devices, a standalone NAS drive or use your desktop/laptop PC.
0 Ratings
Spectrumrob
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

The new hh6 does have upnp settings but I can't see the point of it it won't stream media. Am looking at a nas drive alternative I think.
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

UPNP is a family of protocols that use multicast on your network to help with the discovery of various services (network routers, media servers, etc). The UPNP settings on your router allow the router to advertise itself on the network as an internet gateway device. Apps see those advertisements and then know that the router supports IGDP. They can use this to set up port forwarding. Games are the classic user of this.

Since you mentioned just a USB drive, the cheapest option if you just want a  UPNP media server is to use a Raspberry Pi. Low power, low cost. Some self-assembly required, but there are lots of guides on the internet on how to this set-up. 

0 Ratings