cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Smarthub firmware upgrade messed up my network printer

My BT Smart Hub has taken a dislike to my HP Laserjet 1505n printer, connected via ethernet (no wireless). It was working fine until a recent firmware upgrade to the (not so) Smart Hub. Now the printer is not visible to the other network clients, so I can't print to it. Its web interface can't be accessed, and the print Configuration Page method does not print.
I have started running a Raspberry Pi with dnsmasq providing DHCP and DNS services. If I disconnect the Smarthub from the network, then turn on the printer the latter gets its ip address and can be used. With the hub connected, no ip address.
I was wondering if it is possible to block the printer and the Smart Hub from seeing each other, perhaps via dnsmasq? (I am a beginner with dnsmasq.)
I would welcome any advice on a solution as I am not expecting BT to be any help. I spoke to their tech support (at length), they had me do the usual things (eg reset the hub to factory settings) but it made no difference. They said they would see what they could do to help, then disconnected me and I've not heard back from them.

Edit: this is the extract from the system log when the printer is turned on: 192.168.1.16 is the address given by dnsmasq.

12:14:21, 08 Sep.
wl1:IGMP join received for group 224.0.2.3 on interface wl1
12:14:21, 08 Sep.
eth1:IGMP join received for group 239.255.255.253 on interface eth1
12:14:08, 08 Sep.
eth1:IGMP join received for group 224.0.1.60 on interface eth1
eth1:IGMP group 224.0.1.60 on interface eth1 started by 192.168.1.16
eth1:IGMP group 224.0.1.60 on interface eth1 by 192.168.1.16 requested

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smarthub firmware upgrade messed up my network printer

Did you factory reset the hub after the update, worth a try if you didn't? Don't forget to disable smart setup and split the wifi bands again afterwards.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did do factory reset, just tried factory reset again - still the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

You may be best looking for a third party VDSL router which you have full control of, and is out of BTs control.

0 Ratings