Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thisiskernow
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

So, An Engineer called today.

Hi.

We have been waiting a while to upgrade from ADSL to Bt Infinity, so were obviously deligted today when an engineer(openreach?) started drilling and banging away this morning, he has ran a cable from where the telephone cable is attached to our house and fitted a box near the front door (FTTP?).

He told me this was phase 1 of installation, phase 2 willl involve another engineer calling to setup internal wiring ect within 9 days. Great! no problems so far.

I noticed just before he left and managed to speak to him quickly that our existing TalkTalk connection had stopped working (he said the work he carried out would have no effect on existing connections)

I have ran the usual checks on the old ADSL connection, checked cables, rebooted router ect but it just will not work, There are no lights on the router showing, (aside from power and wifi)

My question is this... who do i contact to find out what is going on with the existing connection? Has the engineer made a mistake? has TalkTalk ceased the line? has BT taken over the line?

To complicate matters further both the TalkTalk and new BT accounts are held by my landlord, who is out of the country at the moment, while he is contactable. it is obviously easier if i try to figure out what has gone wrong as i am at the property.

Oh and we have still not recieved the BT Hub/router yet through the post. that will obviously complicate things further when the internal engineer arrives.

Regards, Ian.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: So, An Engineer called today.

If he ran a normal cable, and not an optical fibre, then its a normal FTTC connection and not FTTP. Optical fibre is much thinner and terminated on a fibre node which usually has the node designation written on it, usually four letters.

If its a FTTC connection (copper), then the TT connection would have been ceased.

As you are not the account holder, there is not much you can do about it at the moment, apart from to wait.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

was your landlords intention to keep the existing TT adsl broadband and then add a new FTTP connection from BT?  ie have 2 broadband connections?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
thisiskernow
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

The cable leading into the box outside seems quite thin. not extremely thin though. it is black with a yellow stripe.

No, the intention is to switch from TalkTalk ADSL to BT Infinity. with BT talking over as the line provider fromTalkTalk also.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@thisiskernow wrote:

No, the intention is to switch from TalkTalk ADSL to BT Infinity. with BT talking over as the line provider fromTalkTalk also.

That is why you have lost the TT service.

0 Ratings
thisiskernow
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hmmm, okay... but the website when we ordered said upto 30 mins of downtime. but the egineer says its going to be up to 9 days, conflicting information being provided there.

Should i be worried that the BT Hub has not arrived yet, is it something i should try to chase up?

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

the hub will arrive before the fibre to home activation date the black with yellow strip is a protective cover for the fibre