Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 52

So I had an engineer visit and I'm not happy

Go to solution

Following on from my is the speedtester up the swanny thread

Today I had a visit from an OR engineer. He called before he attended which was very good of him.

He read the results on the above thread, looked at all the other screenies I've kept and also witnessed some tests that I carried out there and then - these followed the usual erratic result

He tested my line using the jdsu tester which confirmed my router was showing the same - nothing obviously wrong.

Having glanced at his laptop I noticed that it clearly stated that I'd had a lift and shift, but the number of previous OR engineers that had worked on my issue was nil.

When I questioned him about this he was unsure why, so he made a few calls for further clarification, stating that he was prepared to carry out the lift and shift as it had not happened. He was told not to do this but to put a note on his report that I would need an "ncis(vp)".

Any idea what an ncis(vp) is? (pronounced n-siss)

He also asked why my connection was still asdlmax when my area had been adsl2+ for some time. I overheard "100% capacity" and that "so even if the customer was on adsl2+, he'd be limited to adslmax speeds anyway" or words to that effect.

I find that a little unfair tbh.

I asked him that if I were to go on to Infinity, would this issue disappear, "yes" was the answer.

This is why I'm very annoyed as Infinity only went live very recently and this may of been around the time the speed tester started to give the results in the thread above.

So I put this to you BT, why can't/won't you give me up to 20mb download speed if it's available and why should I pay more for Infinity just to sort this out? I'm not prepared to pay the price for BT infinity as others can offer this a lot cheaper, though why it's still estimated at 27.2mb is anyone's guess. I've already been previously told by BT that this is a very low speed.

The OR engineer did fit an NTE5 filtered faceplate before he left:)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
51 REPLIES 51
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 52

Re: So I had an engineer visit and I'm not happy

Go to solution
A NCIF or VP is a virtual path. They're one and the same thing, just different names.

A number of customers are routed over a VP (many VP's per exchange). If you're on a heavily ustilised VP then you'll see poor throughput. I believe it's 50 customers to one VP hence the contention ratio of 50:1.

A lift and shift may, but is not always guaranteed to put you onto a different VP, and there's always a chance you can get moved from one hot VP to another.

When you put your number into the BT wholesale availability checker, what's ADSL and ADSL2+ estimations?

Regarding your estimation for Infinity, I suspect you're quite a distance from the cabinet.

Also, you'll struggle to find a cheaper supplier of an FTTC service.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 52

Go to solution

Thanks for that Webby;)

The OR guy was told to write it in his report as ncis(vp) , but guess he may of not heard the dept' he was on the phone to correctly. He did relay it back to them though for confirmation:| but I'll go with NCIF(VP);) also no idea why he was told to write it as above. He had never heard of it till yesterday

To my knowledge, this only started when Infinity went live in my area and I'm the only one where I live that is with BT (1/26 houses).

I've been informed today that BT never offered adsl2+ from my exchange, so no idea why this was mentioned to me.

1000mtrs aint that far give or take a bit. I could probably pee on it from here with a light breeze behind me:D

Nope, based on the figures in front of me, Plusnet can put BT's price to shame. I haven't negoiated with BT yet. I may try this later just to see what I can get it for but tbh I'd be happy enough paying what I'm paying now for my 6.5mbps.

not the 0.02mbps currently

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 52

Go to solution

From the BT site -

What to expect.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 52

Go to solution
It'll be coincidence that you're network has became slower as the FTTC service takes have their own VP's (much larger) than those on the ADSL network purely down to the much larger amount of bandwidth used by those with faster connections.

Fair comment about plusnet - didn't know they were doing fibre. Yes it's only up to 40meg but with your estimate that's the only package you'd need really 🙂

To be honest the slight increase in price for the big increase in speeds is worth it, in my opinion anyway. But it's horses for courses 😛
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 52

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
It'll be coincidence that you're network has became slower as the FTTC service takes have their own VP's (much larger) than those on the ADSL network purely down to the much larger amount of bandwidth used by those with faster connections.
Just been speaking to a friend in london, whom knows an OR engineer very well. Apparently there has been a massive rise in complaints from adsl customers AFTER Infinity becomes live in their area, hmm why's that then..  (comments BT on that one) .. Is it anything to do with BT planning on phasing out adsl altogether
Fair comment about plusnet - didn't know they were doing fibre. Yes it's only up to 40meg but with your estimate that's the only package you'd need really 🙂
Aye, good honest bb and all that :D. I'd guess that the most I've ever used in one month would a around the 10g figure. The only reason I went for unlimited was because it actually worked out cheaper - work than one out!
To be honest the slight increase in price for the big increase in speeds is worth it, in my opinion anyway. But it's horses for courses 😛
Nah, a slight decrease in price for an increase (see i've missed out big;)) in speeds is worth it, but that's imho:)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 52

Go to solution
Thing is the throughput or network utilisation has nothing to do with Openreach, it's all managed by BT Wholesale.

As I said, they're effectively 2 different networks as the VP's are much, much larger for those on FTTC. If anything it should get better as people migrate away from ADSL to FTTC and therefore freeing up more space in the VP for other users.
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 52

Go to solution

Just been on the phone and BT ARE more expensive compared to elsewhere, but that was only the customer options team;).

Contract is up on the 18/05, I was a month out, I thought it was tomorrow, so will see how my adsl goes, like you say, the more that move, the merrier

edit. I did once hit a massive 20gig in one month (last August).

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 52

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Just been speaking to a friend in london, whom knows an OR engineer very well. Apparently there has been a massive rise in complaints from adsl customers AFTER Infinity becomes live in their area, hmm why's that then..  (comments BT on that one) .. Is it anything to do with BT planning on phasing out adsl altogether

Could it be poor allocation of backhaul?

If Infinity comes along, it is probably going to be multiplexed over the same 21CN backhaul(s) out of the exchange which will be shared by users on the MSANs using the 21CN Network, driving down everyone if there isn't enough capacity.

IF the QOS on the multiplexer/exchange routers are configured to prioritise connections to/from the Infinity cabinets (Which are multiples of 1Gbps links - Same as found on 21CN MSANs), then surely that could be the reason?

DS - Have you had a word with the Mods about the situation? I've heard if you have recontracted for 21CN, they have the ability to lift the modulation cap/sync speed cap for you and if the need be, order a line regrade to the 21CN kit.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 52

Go to solution

chris6273 wrote:snipped

DS - Have you had a word with the Mods about the situation? I've heard if you have recontracted for 21CN, they have the ability to lift the modulation cap/sync speed cap for you and if the need be, order a line regrade to the 21CN kit.

Hi Chris,

As of 1216 today they're aware of what's going on. BTw have, so I'm being told, carried out a tie pair mod 4 days ago, but based on tests today, one test whilst on a live chat, it's still belly up. 21cn, no chance here

BT Wholesale information
ADSL status: Enabled as of 14/01/2004
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: Available in some areas

Just for information, they've also looked at the speedtester issue (link at the top of this thread)

0 Ratings