cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
madge80
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

So fed up with BT, dropping connections.

Go to solution

hi guys

im not looking for faster internet im looking for internet that does not drop out.

The internet drops out and a yellow glow appears over the wireless connection symbol in the bottom right of my laptop screen. when i try to reconnect to my BT homehub it says windows cannot connect to BT homehub. i need to restart the hub at at mains to be able to connect again 😞 thinking of leaving BT and moving to sky. very little reason to stay with BT.

my job needs for me to online skype/msn etc and when internet keeps dropping out its really hindering.

i have down loaded inssider2 and switched to channel 9 as it seemed to be the least used channel by other networks around my house.

Dom

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Hellohound
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: So fed up with BT, dropping connections.

Go to solution

It's your fault im afraid, always is and always will be when it comes to BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Hellohound wrote:

It's your fault im afraid, always is and always will be when it comes to BT.

That is a very helpfull post, I will thank you for the OP

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@madge80 wrote:

hi guys

im not looking for faster internet im looking for internet that does not drop out.

The internet drops out and a yellow glow appears over the wireless connection symbol in the bottom right of my laptop screen. when i try to reconnect to my BT homehub it says windows cannot connect to BT homehub. i need to restart the hub at at mains to be able to connect again 😞 thinking of leaving BT and moving to sky. very little reason to stay with BT.

my job needs for me to online skype/msn etc and when internet keeps dropping out its really hindering.

i have down loaded inssider2 and switched to channel 9 as it seemed to be the least used channel by other networks around my house.

Dom

Hi madge.

I am not an expert on wireless , but do you have the latest drivers for your wireless card.

Do you know what type of card you have, b/g/n

You could also try setting the wirelss interface type in the HH to 802.11 from b/g/n to n only or try b/g

Do you need to connect wirelessly, connecting using ethernet leads always gives a better connection, plus you could also look into using Homeplugs/powerline adapters.

I am sure there are other more experienced wireless users who will come along with a bit of advice.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
madge80
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

hi there, even if ur not an expert i apprecaite you helping me πŸ™‚ im not too sure how to update drivers, i will google that now and try to update my wireless drivers. although my brother bought  a new computer and the same thing was happening to him. you would think the HH could support 2 computers πŸ˜•

i do not know what kind of card i have my , my laptop is an acer aspire 5735z though.

You could also try setting the wirelss interface type in the HH to 802.11 from b/g/n to n only or try b/g

yes i need a wireless connection and so does my brother 😞 dont knwo what Homeplugs/powerline adapters are...to google i go πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi madge.

Just checked your wireless card should be 802.11a/b/g/n for that Acer. Your brothers is a new comp so should be the same.

You can try Windows update to see if it will find new drivers, and you have tried Insider to find less congested wireless channels.

powerline adapters are like these; http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network-fastest-200-mbit.html?l=en

Another way might be a different wireless router.

But wait for some other replies before you spend money, maybe unnecessarily.

toekneem

(EASBF)

gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I echo what Tokeneem has said, the Wireless G will tend to be more stable than the N in some cases, even if your devices use Wireless N it can lead to some instability in the connection, as you have said dropping, what I would suggest is taking a look here, and then monitor the connection for say a few hours and see if it does or does not drop out.

0 Ratings
madge80
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

ok changed to b/g...it was set to b/g/n.

the information here has been really helpful, i hope it sorts the problem out its really annoying me. i will update later 2night (to see if these changes has effected anything)

0 Ratings
madge80
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

just a quick update - wanted to leave it a few days to see if i was nt dreaming!

changing from b/g/n has really improved the stability.

thanks guys.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Hi, Have read your enquiry, and if it is any comfort, I too am experiencing so called 'dropping' and B T remain silent.
The only difference being my system is Wired not Wireless.
Planning to switch to cable, although in the past I have been impressed by BT.
0 Ratings