cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 53

Re: So my upgrade went through, but my speed is the same, despite much higher "attainable rates

So got fed up with waiting for BT to fix the problem and was keen to seen attainable rates of line, so I've unlocked my modem, which was nice and simple. Screenshot below;

Capture.PNG

Just to clarify (not sure if I've got this right) Low SnR is bad?? Smiley Frustrated

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 53

Re: So my upgrade went through, but my speed is the same, despite much higher "attainable rates

A low SNR is what you want for faster speeds.

If your line is noisy then the SNR is increased to protect the connection at the sacrifice of some speed.

What speeds you expecting?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 53

My upgrade was supposedly completed this morning, but there's no increase in speed and my IP profile is still set to 12 -37Mbps (even after a reboot of hub and modem).

If I try to order a totally new service the test during that says the maximum I'll ever achieve is 36Mbps.  

So basically this whole "offer" is a con-trick to get people to tie themselves into another 18 months of contract and to make them believe that BT can match what VirginMedia can do. I smell Bullsh*t

I tried logging a fault call to find out why my profile hasn't changed and I got some impossibly difficult message to understand (from India) on the answer phone implying that my order was to move to Option 2 (Unlimited) when that's was I was always on.

Not sure how to take this forward now :0(

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 53

Hang on so the estimation is 36, you're getting that but you're not happy?

There's no con. No one forced you to place the upgrade. You took a chance of maybe getting better speeds with the knowledge that your estimation was 36meg.

BT can deliver, I get the full whack. You must live a distance away from your cab which is the decider on what speed you can get, just like adsl was distance from the exchange. Nothing to do with BT failing to deliver my friend.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 53

@Webby wrote:
A low SNR is what you want for faster speeds.

If your line is noisy then the SNR is increased to protect the connection at the sacrifice of some speed.

What speeds you expecting?
Was estimated 57.8 down 20 up. Seem to be getting much closer to the 20 up since unlocking OR modem, was getting 10 previously.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 53

Looking at my SNR it's alot lower than many peoples that i've seen at higher speeds 😕
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 53

Coincidence 😉

Your attainable is 52 so either the estimator is a little off or there's a slight fault on your line. Problem is it could be so slight it'll probably not be picked up by the engineers testing kit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 53

@Webby wrote:
Coincidence 😉

Your attainable is 52 so either the estimator is a little off or there's a slight fault on your line. Problem is it could be so slight it'll probably not be picked up by the engineers testing kit.
Yeah, noticed that the attainable rate fluctuates a little. Will be interesting to see by how much over time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 53

Just depends on noise and interference levels picked up by your line mate.

Don't get too hung up on speeds. Use the service what it's for. Like me and the majority of others, you wouldn't see a difference between 20meg and 80meg. The speeds you have will not hinder you in anything you wish to do with current technology.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 53

Webby.  You're talking through your trousers .  If they'd done the upgrade properly my profile would have a higher max, but it doesn't.

I was happy with the speed I had before but now I DON'T have an updated profile, and I DON'T have even 1 kbps faster than I had before, but I DO have a contract I'm tied into for 18 months. 

Cut it whatever way you want that's NOT good customer service. 

If the profile had change but I wasn't getting anything better then I'd take it on the chin, but it hasn't, and judging by a lot of the posts in this thread there's a lot of other people who have seen no improvement at all either.

0 Ratings