cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 41 of 53

Re: So my upgrade went through, but my speed is the same, despite much higher "attainable rates

Same boat as you TheSeeker.
9 Days after my "upgrade". Gone from 38/6 to 34/6 🙂

Awesome upgrade, so glad I signed up for an extra 18 months for more than 10% less internets.

Still waiting for a reply from a mod...Been 2 days now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 42 of 53

Re: So my upgrade went through, but my speed is the same, despite much higher "attainable rates

Seeker webby is right. The "upgrade" is simply changing of the speed caps from 40/10 to 80/20. If you are under the 40/10 level to begin with you will see no change. Its like somebody changing a door from 2.0 metres to 2.4m if you are 1.8m you see no improvement but if you are 2.1m you stop banging your head.

The IP profile is set at 96% of the sync and throughput should be around 95% of sync. Your line can only sync at a speed it can support longer lines lose the higher frequencies so cannot carry as much data. All of this has beeen posted many times on this forum. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 53

@TheSeeKer wrote:

Webby.  You're talking through your trousers .  If they'd done the upgrade properly my profile would have a higher max, but it doesn't.

I was happy with the speed I had before but now I DON'T have an updated profile, and I DON'T have even 1 kbps faster than I had before, but I DO have a contract I'm tied into for 18 months. 

Cut it whatever way you want that's NOT good customer service. 

If the profile had change but I wasn't getting anything better then I'd take it on the chin, but it hasn't, and judging by a lot of the posts in this thread there's a lot of other people who have seen no improvement at all either.

Your profile is 100% attributed to your connection rate.

In November Openreach roll out a software change to all the cabinets. It changed the frequencies that VDSL2 uses. They increased it from 8Mhz to 17Mhz. This has the benefit of being able to proivde faster speeds as there's more "space" for speeds to travel down your line. While this change was made, the 40meg cap on sync speed remained in place.

IF you were already getting 40meg on the old 8Mhz spectrum then you didn't see an increase. Lots of people who were sub 40, did see an increase.

If when the 17a profile (17Mhz spectrum) was rolled out and you still didn't hit the 40meg cap due to the distance you are from the cabinet, then upgrading to 80/20 wouldn't make a difference as you're not hitting the 40meg cap, which means your line isn't capable of speeds over 40meg on the current 17a profile. 

All the 80/20 service regrade does is change the cap from 40meg to 80meg.

So Sir, I think you'll find I'm not talking "through my trousers, but rather I'm talking 100% facts.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 53

Ok fair enough if thats the case, but they should make this more obvious because the implication is that if your currently getting 24 meg (For example) then by opting for the upgrade you'll achieve something better (I'm not saying 48 meg, but perhaps 40).

In my case since I was getting between 36 and 38 I was expecting to perhaps be able to get 50/60 meg.  No-one would want to be tied in for another 18 months to get no improvment whatsoever.

On Monday I'll be exercising my rights through the distance selling rules to terminate my "new" contract witihn 7 days.

After that I'll be re-evaluating other options available to me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 53

That's why they provide the estimate though buddy, so people are well aware what they should expect to see before opting for the upgrade.

Without wanting to sound rude, no one forced you to take the upgrade and the facts were there available to you before you decided to go ahead with the order.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 53

Yes the facts were available, but I had to dig to find them and then it was post event.

One last question though.  My friend who lives on the other side of town and connects to a different exchange was previously getting 24Mbps because he's so far away.  He applied for the upgrade and now gets between 35 and 49.

So hows that work then based on the previous "if you weren't getting 40Mbps before, upgrading will have no effect"?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 53

So the plot thickens.   Rang to cancel my "upgrade" and was told that Engineers are still working on my line as it drops if it goes above 40Mbps.  Hence, it in test mode and is being monitored.  After 10 days they should have enough information to tune/fix it.

Lets see what happens in 10 days time then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 53

Regarding your friends connection - I assume his SNR was quite high before which has the affect of lowering your speed. When the regrade goes through the line is essentially "reset" to a 6db SNR which would bump the speeds back up.

However if noise interference is picked up by DLM his speeds will gradually reduce as DLM increases the SNR to protect the connection.

I'm very sceptical about what you've been told there mate.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 53

Just checked my attainable rates again on or modem and it appears to have jumped up significantly. Now shows 63994 Kbit/s, upload remains steady at around 13000 kbit/s. Not sure whether i want to reboot modem or not as it's been reset a few times lately due to electricity works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 53

Noticed that i seem to have a high rate of FEC errors around 13000 so far. Wonder if this is contributing to the problem, or even a side effect of it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings