cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gers1978
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

So slow it's unusable - can I get out of contract?

I switched back to BT Broadband on 8 May, due to the fact they offered truly unlimited, no throttles, no fair use policy.

They sent me a Home Hub 3 and everything was fine. I then bought a Home Hub 4 from them, and everything was still fine.

Then, about 10 days ago, my internet started going unbearably slow. I mean unusable slow. Web pages taking 30 or 40 seconds to load on Mac, App Store on iPhone not opening at all, PlayStation 3 taking 3 or 4 minutes to sign in, etc.

I tried a different RJ11 cable, tried a different micro filter, tried switching back to Home Hub 3, tried plugging router directly into main phone socket with all other equipment disconnected, etc, to no avail. I've also tried during the night, 1st thing in morning, during the day, etc, all the same.

Contacted BT who sent me a link to a speed test, and it came back with 0.8mbps download and 0 (yes, zero) mbps upload. I sent this to BT who phoned me today, and basically asked me to do all the things I've already done.  They then left me an answering machine message saying they apologise for any inconvenience caused but they can't increase my speeds at this time!

Do I have any way of getting out of the 12 month contract, as this is, like I said, basically unusable.  I'd like to stay with BT as I love the extras, etc, and would gladly stay if they could fix it.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: So slow it's unusable - can I get out of contract?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

is it possible to connect the HH3 as the HH4 gives very little stats information.  then  in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gers1978
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Thanks. I'll try the HH3 again later when I get home.  For what it's worth the HH4 reports:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days, 22:57:39
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

I had my girlfriend try the quiet line test, and it was indeed quiet.  That speed test runs fine on my Mac, and I ran it before at the request of the BT call centre rep and got 0.8mbps down and 0 (yes zero) up.

I also have no test socket, my main socket is just a solid faceplate with 1 socket.  I've tried all tests with my Hub plugged straight into it via microfilter and all other telephone devices in the house disconnected.

I also went to:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

and it came up with:

"Telephone Number 0143681xxxx on Exchange GARELOCHHEAD is served by Cabinet 1

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available

Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest."

0 Ratings
gers1978
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Here's the HH3 stats:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:02:54
Downstream:8,128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.9 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
0 Ratings
gers1978
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I just re-ran the speed test and it shows 5mbps download and 0.07 upload now but there is NO WAY I'm getting 5mbps download just now - it's taking 20 to 30 seconds just to load text-based web pages!

Further diagnostics button gives:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 5.24 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.24 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

You are on adlmax with the max connection speed of 8128 from the ceker reuls your exchange does not appear to have adsl2 available. Your speedtest looks ok with correct profile and consistent download speed

Can you go back to stats page in hh and show detail at bottom to get rest of error information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gers1978
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 11.0 dB / 25.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 14.5 dB / 8.0 dB Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0 CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): 0 HEC Errors (Down/Up): 0 / 0 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

As connection time very short there is little errors and really need a longer connection time. Ae you connecting to the hh wifi or ethernet?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

looking at your stats and speedtest results there is nothing wrong with your connection speed or your download speed
you have a very good stable connection
0 Ratings
gers1978
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

WiFi
0 Ratings