cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

So slow, that my 3G is quicker ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hi All

I wish as my first post it could be more positive but sadly i feel this is more a last resort.  

Prior to getting broadband i surveyed what was available,  Virgin my first option is not in this estate so this lead me to any variant on a BT line,  as we already had a BT phone figured stick with one bill as regardless of this options there all limited by the same poor quality line\exchange distance. 

My closest exchange is two miles away the other side of Keighley,  The absolute best i will get is 2800kbps apparently so thats what my IP profile is set to. 

However,  for the past 5 months i have been strugling with speed issues.  I'll be clear now,  not connection issues,  the lines not dropping, the hub doesn't loose its connection or restart it is just VERY slow.   This happens at all times of the day, its not limited to 4am, 10am, 5pm, 10pm,   it is consistent,   occasionally it speeds up and its normal but for the most part it is SLOW.  

Now,  i'll clarify slow. 

IP Profile,   2851kbps,   speed achieved 369kbps Upload

IP Profile,    448kbps,    speed achieved 345kbps Download. 

This was ran from speedtester.bt.com,   To be conclusive,  heres speedtest.net for a batch of the results (not all)

86.160.177.108       4/15/2011   1:01 PM GMT      0.06    0.34    56    Manchester
86.164.91.3            4/14/2011   4:44 PM GMT      0.07    0.37    55    Morecambe
86.186.64.14          4/21/2011   10:35 AM GMT    0.28    0.37    57    Morecambe
86.186.64.14          4/21/2011   10:38 AM GMT    0.28    0.38    75 Morecambe
86.135.154.43        5/17/2011   8:31 AM GMT      0.41    0.38    62    Manchester
86.186.64.14          4/21/2011   8:41 PM GMT      0.45    0.09    70    Coventry
86.135.154.43        5/17/2011   7:28 AM GMT      0.84    0.37    73    Morecambe
86.186.64.14          4/24/2011   3:33 PM GMT      0.87    0.38    55

Remember this is just a snapshot of what i'm taling about,  to show random times, pings, servers etc but what is consistent is the speed or lack of it.

I have spoken to support,  quite frankly useless - seem more concerned at following the apology scripts than any concern for the issue.   It is very difficult to feel the need to continue with a call if you don't feel like the person your speaking to has any grasp of the issue in hand.  I have gone from engineer, to supervisor, to floor manager apparently and heard the same dribble from each.  

Incidentally - What is it with not calling back,   i may be a "difficult customer" and i'm also an un-satisfied customer i'll admit,  but thats no reason not to call somebody back !!!!!!!!!

Anyway,   I have had engineer visit the house and test - no issues.   I have converted from wireless to wired -   still the same.  I have gone to one machine (normally 1x desktop + 1 other laptop and an iphone) - Still the same,  I have tested each individually - the same.  I've reset the hub - same issue,  i've brought another router - same issue.

I also have worked in IT for the last 15 years,  the last 6 at management level - i know what is MY issue and what is not.   And my iphone tethered connection is quicker than this service.   The best way i can describe it  :-

If you download 5 movies at a time - you don't expect to be able to load a website,   and in this case i can't even do that, except i'm not downloading anything,  just trying to get to a website to begin with. 

Like i said,  last resort as i'm at whits end and can't face another 2 hour phone call.  

"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?"
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: So slow, that my 3G is quicker ! ! ! ! ! ! !

welcome to the forum

from the profile you have posted of 2851 your throughput seems very low at 369/345.

it would help if you can please post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Connected through Master,   no additional handsets at all connected anywhere in the house. 

Here's my ADSL settings from the Router - Trust me,   i ain't getting the 3.4 that it states ! ! ! ! ! !

Connection information<script type="text/javascript"></script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 4:40:58
Downstream3,424 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript"></script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.4 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)62.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.2 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)81766 / 78
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1241 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 70
Error Seconds (Local)641
"Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

According to the kitz website with our attenuation of 62 you are about 4.5km line length from the exchange and your connection of 3424 is above figure on kitz so a good connection.  your noise margin at 6.4 is normal and the CRC up errors are a bug inthe firmware and can be ignored.

can you run btspeedtester and post the results - this will show your profile and also your throughput to see if a problem with either or both

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

It was quick this time,   508kbps instead of 360kbps,  thought i noticed a difference when i could actually run the speedtest as most of the time it just times out !

Download speedachieved during the test was - 508 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3020 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 23.77:22.44:53.82 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

0 Ratings
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 31

Hub Just reset itself !

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:00:25
Downstream3,328 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript"></script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.7 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)62.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.2 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)11
Loss of Signal (Local)3
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)4
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

the connection is more or less the same connection speed and the good thing is your exchange is part of the new profile system and is 88.2% of your connection speed and not a multiple of 500 as before.  Also the profile chnages as your speed changes so no longer need to wait the normal 3 days.

your problem is your throughput is low at 508 for your 3mb connection

check your exchange for problems http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

and if ok then email mods for assistance http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

imjolly

Thanks for your assistance but without wanting to sound ungratefull,  its nothing i diddn't already know,   i've ran tests again this afternoon that i'd already covered in my original post for virtually the same results.  

I know my throughput has been low because its been like this for 5 months,  i know this because i've come to the end of my tether with it.     

Email mods ?,  why ?,  surely they should see it here and respond accordingly,  personally i want to get as many people involved as possible including outside BT in a "professional" capacity to take the issue further.

imjolly wrote:

the connection is more or less the same connection speed and the good thing is your exchange is part of the new profile system and is 88.2% of your connection speed and not a multiple of 500 as before.  Also the profile chnages as your speed changes so no longer need to wait the normal 3 days.

your problem is your throughput is low at 508 for your 3mb connection

check your exchange for problems http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

and if ok then email mods for assistance http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

how you proceed is up to you

my suggestion of contacting the mods was to try and help you get someone to look into your problem and help get it fixed.  the mods have a good success rate on the forum.

They may eventually pick up your post but emailing will speed things up and ensure they are aware of your problem.

still if it has been going as long as you say then another few weeks

0 Ratings
IanGurney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

To satisfy process

Your enquiry reference number: 110518-xxxxxx

Thanks

0 Ratings