cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Socket Wires Not Connected

So, I decided to move my router to a different room. But when I took off the faceplate to check the wiring I found that there were 2 cables to the socket and neither were connected.

I'm slightly confused why there are two cables and what I should do with them. I was planning on just connecting up a Openreach Telephone Master Socket MK4.

Any advice on whether I use one of the cables, both or something else would be great. Thanks!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Socket Wires Not Connected

@memoriafuturi 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

Message 3 of 20

BT. They came an installed my socket for broadband when I subscribed. But this is a different socket. I've never used it before, don't use landline, but now want to use for broadband....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

If there is no dial tone when you plug a phone into the socket, then its not connected to your phone line, and you will not get broadband. You would have to try and trace where it goes.

Message 5 of 20

I just have two cables coming from the wall. They're not connected to anything. So basically I was surprised I had two cables and not 1. If you could advise what I do with them, I can connect and do a test. I've attached a couple of pics that hopefully clarifies...

Thanks

IMG_1826.jpegIMG_1825.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

You need to trace where the cables go, we can't see from here.

Message 7 of 20

You need to check the master socket and see if any cables are connected to terminals 2&5

do you have another extension socket in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 20

So I guess the socket that I've been using is the master socket. I haven't pulled it apart to check as it works fine, but will do. I guess I was expecting this other socket to be wired, or if not wired, have only one cable coming out of the plug. The two cables has kind of confused me. I don't believe there are any other sockets in the house. Is there a reason that there would be two cables for this socket? Do I need to attach them both, or just one cable? Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

the 2 wires coming into socket is often done with 1 wire coming from the master socket and the other wire going to another extension socket somewhere else in your home - sockets connected in series

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 20

I thought this might be the case. So one of the cables is from the master socket and the other is to connect to some other socket in the house (that I don't know where it is). So can I just connect both cables to the same master socket - basically just putting 2 wires into each of the connectors. I guess I could also try to figure out which cable is from the master socket and which is planned to be the extension - but maybe just connecting both cables to the extension socket would be the easiest solution?

0 Ratings