cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Socket Wires Not Connected

You need to look at the master socket and see if the cable is connected.  Is you master socket a filtered socket with 2 outlets - one for hub and one for phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 12 of 20

My master socket definitely has one outlet for phone and one for hub.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

@memoriafuturi wrote:

My master socket definitely has one outlet for phone and one for hub.

Then any extensions would be filtered, and could not be used for broadband, without altering the wiring, or running a data extension cable.

It would be one of these sockets.

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

Message 14 of 20

Thanks for the help. To try to explain my situation better. When the apartment was done, it had these sockets - I think they're just standard phone sockets.

IMG_1829.jpeg

These were in both locations. When I had BT broadband installed, they replaced one of these sockets with this:

IMG_1828.jpeg

I've been using this one for years for my broadband. But now I want to move the router to another room that has the first socket still there. I purchased this:

IMG_1830.jpeg

And was just planning to swap over. But when removed the plate found 2 cables. So I wasn't sure why there were two cables and whether I just use 1 or both.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

you need to take of the bottom half of the master you are using and see if any wires are attached.  you should not have 2 master sockets on your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

These are pics of the one that I'm currently using and was wired up by BT. Is this the info you're after?

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpeg

  

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

as you can see there are no extension sockets connected to the back of the bottom half of the master  you need to see if the other end of the cable in the extension socket are there so you can use to connect the extension

you would need to connect to the data terminals on left side of master middle section and then to extension.  bear in mind using the extension socket for your broadband may result in a reduction in connection speed

Message 18 of 20

You simply need 2 wires going from the data extension terminals in the master to terminals 2&5 in the original extension socket and use a plug in filter. You will need to find out which of the 2 cables at the extension goes to the master socket.

Message 19 of 20

So are you saying I don't need the new socket that I purchased. That having one already on the outlet that is working is enough. That I just need to wire the new socket and use an adaptor? Thanks for the help with this. This seems to be more work than I imagined. Actually wondering whether maybe just leave the router where it is.

But, it sounds like I only need one master socket and that I can't use two. I actually thought I needed a master socket for the plug that was connected to the router to have it work best. Given that I already have a master socket where the router is plugged in, to get the router to work a the other outlet, I need to wire into the extension of the master socket and then connect at the extended socket and use an adaptor coming from this. And this should work as well as currently in the master socket?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

I've stumbled across this guide. This would appear to be what I need to do to get my secondary socket working when I move my router? Would you be able to confirm that this is the case?

0 Ratings