cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Softphone Cut Off - RUINING MY BUSINESS

I'm posting this saga in a desperate attempt to get anyone at BT to sort this out. Having used the softphone number for my business since 2009, my customers are understandably angry at having it suddenly cut off with no notice. I just happened to agree to a new 12 month contract with BT Sport, only to have them DELETE my softphone account without any notification, notice or consultation. This number is on my advertising, website, etc, etc. Having tried to call/email, get someone - anyone to help with this since Thursday 8th August I'm now here trying to get it fixed. Can anyone advise/help PLEASE. Promised calls back from the 'help desk' have never materialised. I have just seen the entry about gradual withdrawal of this service, but it would have been helpful to have been told they were going to pull the plug before they did it.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Re: Softphone Cut Off - RUINING MY BUSINESS

Hi DanClacher,

Welcome and thanks for posting. When you sionged up for Sports were you given a new hub? If so then it's possible the Softphone (broadband talk) account was ceased automatically as the new hubs aren't broadband talk compatible. I can look into this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Softphone uses Broadband Talk, which is being discontinued at the end of the year, or if you change your contract.

Business use is not supported on Residential lines anyway, as its against the T&Cs.

If you are lucky, you may be able to port your old BBT number to a VOIP provider, before the number is re-allocated.

I would contact a VOIP provider ASAP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

To quote the Terms and Conditions:

"You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Oh thanks, very helpful. BT and I are very well aware of the T&Cs, and know what the line was needed for, so perhaps your knowledge of the rules and regs could be put to some practical use to actually assist a customer? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

As Keith has already suggested you will need to see if you can port your number to a VOIP such as Sipgate UK. You should contact BT about keeping the number ASAP in case it get allocated to somebody else.  If you contact Sipgate or another provider they may be able to this for you.

0 Ratings