Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Software updates without internet connection

Go to solution

I am due to receive a new G4 youview+ box shortly. I am planning to keep my old youview+ box and connect it to my second TV set so that I can record and replay Freeview content on that set, and pause live programs. I would not connect it to the internet, and I know that would lose all the bt suplplied content and facilities.

Would the box still receive humax software updates over the air, or are all updates now done through the internet?

If necessary I might be prepared to take up a BT second box service, but I can only connect to the router via power line adapters, and I believe that rules out the second box service. My router is upstairs and both TVs are downstairs.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Software updates without internet connection

Go to solution

The updates are done over the internet. There should not be really any majour updates. If there is they will be posted on the forum under anouncements.

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Why not just use Powerline adapters anyway then you'll get updates and access to the on-demand stuff. No need for the cost of the 2nd box service.

Works just fine for me. 1 is connected directly via cat6 cable & the other by powerline.

jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

TimCurtis, thanks for thatt. I'll try and see how it goes.

Four subsidiary questions:

1. How will the system know which box has the BT YouView subscription?

2. Will broadband use by the extra box count against my 40gig monthly allowance?

3. What will happen on the extra boxif I mistakenly try to use any of the BT facilities?

4. Do you think I should replace my 200 powerline adapters by 500 adapters?

0 Ratings
Steve_M
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@jpadeutsch wrote:

1. How will the system know which box has the BT YouView subscription?

2. Will broadband use by the extra box count against my 40gig monthly allowance?

3. What will happen on the extra boxif I mistakenly try to use any of the BT facilities?

1. The STB registers against the platform when consuming BT services.
2. I don't beleive so!

3. It will come up with a message asking if you would like to use the box as the Primary box, you can choose not to.

4. I would recommend trying what you have first and seeing how you get on as you're not planning to watch extra channels over the link just yet.

Steve

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@jpadeutsch wrote:

AV200s should be absolutely fine. They're likely to sync at well above your internet speed. I originally had 4-port 200s with 3 boxes attached & never experienced any issues.

jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Steve and Tim.

I didn't mention before that I am upgrading my YouView package to the "entertainment package" which includes 20 extra internet channels. The BT sales person I spoke to recommended that I should replace my BT AV200 PLAs (Arcnet) by the newer BT Broadband Extender 500 PLAs. She said thatviewing the internet channels might not be very satisfactory with the AV200s. I've chosen not to do this replacment yet, as the AV200s are quite adequate for BTSport - so I would expect them to be ok for other internet channels.

If I do connect my spare YouView box to the internet I will need to get another PLA for that. Should I get a 500 PLA for that, so that if I update the others eventually I would be on all 500s? I believe that if I had a mix of 200s and 500s they would all effectively run at 200. I've read conflicting opinions on this. Some say that they would all run at 200, while others say that the the 500s wiould communicate with eachother at 500 and with the 200s at 200.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I must admit I've no idea about mixing different sets of powerlines.

I'd say that if you could get another av200 that matches your existing ones that would be the simplest solution and probably  adequate. A certain well known auction site would be a good place to look.

With my av200s , i had 3 netgears each with 4 ports , they connected over the mains at about 140mbps. Running 2 HD internet channels to the YV boxes would take about 15-20 mbps I think, so more than enough spare capacity.

If you ran a media server & tried streaming some ultra hi-def videos with fast forwarding then you might run into issues with the 200s, otherwise I believe you should be fine.

jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that. I certainly won't go to AV500 at the moment. You've convinced me that it is at least worth trying to stick too AV200.

0 Ratings
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Your powerline adapters will likely only have a 100Mbps port on them anyway, so whether you get a 'theoretical' 200Mbps or 500Mbps is probably irrelevant! And by the way, I have mixed and matched brands/speeds of powerline adapters in my house (admittedly not for YouView, just for getting computers online), and they all talk to one another perfectly happily.

0 Ratings