cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Some email addresses use BTMail, one doesn't!

For some time my main email address and one sub-account address have been using BTMail.  However I have recently found that another sub-account email address is still using BTYahoo email.  This is an address that I have not used for some while, but needed to recently having upgraded to Windows 10 and required by Microsoft to confirm my ID on several PCs; they insisted on sending a code to this little used email address.  I must have used it to set up an outlook.com address and/or a Onedrive account.

So really I don't want to loose access to this email address still using BTahoo mail, until I can find a way of dis-associating it from the Microsoft accounts.  Has anybody reading this got any ideas as to how I can get the email address using BTMail please?  Also if you have any clues as to how I can get Microsoft to 'forget' the association with, I'd be grateful to hear that too.

KenMac

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Some email addresses use BTMail, one doesn't!

Are you sure it's a sub-account and not a separate account? I have a separate account like that. I was notified by BT a couple of years ago that if I didn't get it put in with the main account then I would lose it when I was migrated over. I ticked the box to just delete it but due to the mess BT have got themselves in with the changeover it's still there and still active. I'm not going to rock the boat!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

First of all there is nothing you can do to move an address from BTYahoo to BTMail. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure why it is a probem, email is email. Ok, you might have to login to the accounts separately if you are using webmail, that's all. Thirdly, I guess you need to change your registration details with Microsoft if you want to use a different address, no idea how you do that I'm afraid, but I'm sure it should be possible as people change email addresses all the time.

Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks Dode and Licquorice for your replies.

Firstly the sub-account which is still on BTYahoo mail was originally set up under the primary email and was used to set up an account on Microsoft Messenger.  Whether it now has its own life after the primary and other sub-account were migrated to BTMail, goodness knows!

Secondly my concern is that BT may decide to ditch any emails still on BTYahoo at some time in the future and if I haven't done something about the association, I could be in trouble.

I have since found references to aliases in Microsoft Outlook.com accounts (that's what they seem to call primary and sub-accounts), and it seems possible to remove them and create new ones.  So that may be the way I'll go, if I can't get anymore info on how Microsft is associating the BTYahoo email address with the Microsoft account.

Ken Mac

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@KenMac46 wrote:

Thanks Dode and Licquorice for your replies.

Firstly the sub-account which is still on BTYahoo mail was originally set up under the primary email and was used to set up an account on Microsoft Messenger.  Whether it now has its own life after the primary and other sub-account were migrated to BTMail, goodness knows!

Hopefully it is still associated with the Primary mail it was set up under.

Secondly my concern is that BT may decide to ditch any emails still on BTYahoo at some time in the future and if I haven't done something about the association, I could be in trouble.

If the migration ever re-starts, any mails still on BTYahoo (mine included) should be transfereed automatically to BTMail.

I have since found references to aliases in Microsoft Outlook.com accounts (that's what they seem to call primary and sub-accounts), and it seems possible to remove them and create new ones.  So that may be the way I'll go, if I can't get anymore info on how Microsft is associating the BTYahoo email address with the Microsoft account.

Ken Mac

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I presume you have checked in MyBT > Extras > Manage BTMail, that the account is not showing there as a sub-account.

Have you logged onto the sub-account to check it. When the migration took place, all the email accounts associated with the master account received an email explaining that the account had been migrated and what to do in order to manage the account.

If you have done that and there is no email I think that the moderators will need to become involved in order to sort out your "orphaned" sub-account and re-associate it with the primary account.

Contributor
Message 7 of 9

gg, thanks for your tip.

And no, the email address still on BTYahoo mail does not show up.

Can we therefore get the helpful moderators involved.

Thanks once again.

KenMac

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi KenMac46,

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings