cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Somebody save me from the BT Broadband Help Desk.

Are they completely deaf to a customers answers?

Ok saga time.

I moved home so BT sent me a new broadband hub. All worked fine for a couple of months when I had to move home again. New telephone line at new address. No new hub required as I already had one. Broadband connection setup and running.

For the first few days it kept on dropping the broadband connection for no apparent reason yet the broadband light on the hub remained blue. I thought I would leave it a few more days to see if it "settles down after ten days or so". It didn't it just kept dropping at irregular intervals and with no apparent cause. So I rang the helpline.

Did all the usual checks with the wireless connection then the wired connection even though it was not a fault of connection between the computer and the hub. I went along with these checks as I knew they wouldn't do anything else until they were done.

So, all checked out fine. They raised it as a fault and said an engineer would be in touch. For reasons I won' t go into here I forgot all about the fault even though it still annoyed me every time it happened which was a few times a day. About ten days or so later I logged into the BT site and noticed the fault which had been closed as Resolved even though no engineer had been in touch at all and the fault continued.

I rang the help line again. Went through the checks, again. Was told an engineer would be in touch with me after six that evening (yesterday). No engineer called (big surprise). So they rang me today when I was out and left a message saying as I was unavailable would I call them back on this number, which they gave. I rang and ended up with the sales team. They transferred me to the broadband helpline. Guess what. Let's go through the checks yet again and see if they can resolve the problem. I refused. I told them that I had had a call and was told to call back on this number which I did so could they put me through to the person that called or pass on the message that I had called back. No. Can't do that have to go through the checks to see if they could resolve the problem before they raised a fault. I told him it had already been raised as a fault and that I was returning a call from an engineer who left a message to call this number.

Can you see where this is going yet?

I gave up and told him I was not going to go through these checks yet again just to suit his system. I had returned the call as asked and I asked him to pass the message on and that I was not going through these pointless checks again. The usual apologies and could he jus try to resolve the issue to make me happy. So he just started all over again with the questions on the checks! I told him yet again I was not going to go over these checks yet again and would he please pass on the message that I had called back. Apologies and could he just try to resolve this issue and make me happy. So he started asking me the same questions all over again. I told him I was not going to answer them and could he please pass on the message. I hung up.

He called me back a couple of minutes later and started the whole **bleep** thing all over again! I told him yet again that I was not going to go over all of these checks again and would he please pass the message on. Must admit that by this time I had lost my temper with him. I did complement him on his training not to lose his temper with the customer, he did well at that.

So I hung up again.

He hasn't phoned me back yet, hope he has taken the hint. If nothing changes, does anyone have any suggestions on how to contact someone, anyone, at BT about a broadband fault without having to contact the first line help desk and have to go through the basic checks all over again before they can raise the issue as a fault??

Cheers.

Ken.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Somebody save me from the BT Broadband Help Desk.

Hi al,

Can you do what everyone else does and post your Hubs stats here and http://speedtester.bt.com.

I'll try and help you with your problems, firstly i'd restore your hub so the firmware on your hub updates (a faulty file on the hub can have a major impact on hubs performance)

Also go to GOOGLE, search for inSSIDer2 and run the program to see which wireless channels are mostly used within your area. Once you have found out the mostly used channel in your area, log into your hub and edit the wireless channel to a one that isnt being used within your area.

if this doesnt work please use the link below this text to fill in a contact form which will be sent to the moderators(usually 72 hours to wait for a reply)

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 

Kind Regards, Bert
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Hi Bert

Thanks for the reply. Point noted. Here are the stats from the hub:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days,
21:34:01
Downstream:19.06 Mbps
Upstream:1.156
Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.7 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):18.7 dB / 7.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.0 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):2132 / 70
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):8976 / 61
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):18220 / 169

Results from speedtester.bt.com :

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 14336 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved
during the test was - 14336 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable
range of speeds is 4000-21000
Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate
:19511 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1183 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for
your line is - 17214 Kbps

2. Upstream
Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 893 Kbps

0 Kbps1183 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed
achieved during the test was - 893 Kbps
Additional
Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1183
Kbps

Already downloaded inSSIDer2 and have identified 4 wireless channels near to me, 2 on channel 5 and 2 on channel 1, I am on channel 11.

Not sure why I would have to check the wireless connection as I stated that the wireless connection to/from the hub is perfectly ok. I do not have any wireless connection issues.When the connection drops, I mean by that that the broadband connection has dropped, not the wireless connection. I can still connect to the hub during this dropout period therefore no wireless connection issues. I have been asked by the help desk to change channels a number of times as that is one of their basic questions, the ones I have now refused to answer any more as I have stated a number of times that there are no wireless connection issues.

The hub has all lights in the blue, as far as it is concerned it is still connected to the Internet yet I only have local access from the hub and the blue broadband light is still alive, no orange light no red light. When I then log into the hub, it shows that it is not connected to the Internet. I have to reconnect. I now find that the easiest way is just to disconnect my wireless connection from the hub and reconnect, for some reason that seems to force the hub to reconnect to the Internet.

After posting this last night, the connection dropped out 5 times within as many minutes. Maybe BT are working on it after all? I will wait and see but I will not hold my breath!

Ken.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

oh well, as a matter of fact as a bt customer i have also encountered this problem, i rang numerous of times adn engineers were at my house constantly, no problem detected, but there obviously was... after abit of help of imjolly and john they suggested that i changed my micro filter to a faceplate filter and what do you know? 😛 that solved it for me... or it could of been a coincidence that bt fixed the problem? who knows, but ever since i changed the filter it worked,

If i was you i'd contact the mod with this link and wait for a reply. In the mean time i'd still stick around and look for a solution without the mod contacting you 🙂 goodluck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

If this was a helpful post please mark the star to the left hand side of the post.

Kind Regards, Bert
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

if all the lights remain blue and hub says connected to the internet have you tried changing the wireles from default b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

yep been there done that a number of times. Only device connected is my laptop which is n rated. MUst admit this one gets me. I ran my own computer company for 14 years and have always been able to sort out the majority of connection issues without having to resort to contacting the non-help desk.

Still, we can only wait and see....

Many thanks.

Ken.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

your connection looks good with almost 2 days stable connection and a noise margin which is normal and no sign of disconnections. 

even though inssider2 showed only 2 channels appear to be in use it is always possible others are also in use just the ssid is hidden

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

does this happen whilst you are connected to the test socket?

Kind Regards, Bert
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

@imjolly
Even though it shows no sign of a disconnection, I was physically disconnected from the Internet 7 times yesterday and twice so far today. I am leaning towards a hub failure yet I have tried two other hubs with the same results. I have also changed channels using 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, and 6, all with the same results.

@bert
Yup, still happens when connected to the test socket.

Cheers.

Ken
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

if you have tried different routers and the syptoms are the same in that the routers have maintained the internet and it is the wireless devices are losing connection it would suggest the problem is to do with connection between router and pc/laptop

have you tried an ethernet connection for a couple of days to see if the problem is still there.  this will rule out a loss of internet connection which would confirm the information on the hub

0 Ratings