cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverFisher
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Someone has requested to have my home BT telephone number assigned to them!

Go to solution

Got a phone message from BT this morning broadly saying..

"This is a message from BT, unless we hear back from you in 14 days we will reassign your BT landline number to someone else who has requested to have that particular number" Smiley Surprised

Phoned BT customer services in case a scam, but no.. Apparently "another service provider" Thought BT are only landline service providers in the UK? Had requested to have my number assigned to one of their clients, as their own home telephone number..

So wasn't a case of me keeping my number and being billed by someone else.. I would have just been cut off and lost my number..

My last bill of march 2016, says am in £34 odd in credit, so obviously my line is in use and not overdue..

My telephone number is nothing out of the ordinary.. So ones suspicion is a deliberate act to cause me harrassment and all sorts of problems.. like inetrnet line going off.. All the people that would have my home landline number in case of emergencies, relatives etc..

Also pure audacity that BT wouldn't have said "No" the line is already been assigned and in use by the same person for the last 19 odd years.. 

But if had been away on bank holiday for 2 weeks would have come back to dead phone line and all osrts of a mess..

Telephoned BT Customer services who at first gave me BT open reach to call to find out who had requested..

Then re-called BT to be told can't tell me as confidential, depsite me saying I suspect is a deliberate maliscious act and wish to find the person doing so can report to the Police.. 

Have searched online and found odd occurrence of same where, response was line according to BT had been cut off for 2 years, despite having been used the day before it was transferred and bills up to date..

And strangely enough, in that instance they telephoned their old number, spoke to the new "owners" who said BT had been the service provider and all they had asled for was a new number, no particular one..

Unfortunately BT call center (in whatever part of the world is located) doesn't seem to understand or wish to furnish anything other than.. We have cancelled the request, so don't worry!! Smiley Frustrated

Ermm what happens if the same request to have my landline number assigned to someone else becomes a common occurence and they follow the same procedure of saying you have 14 days or you lose it!!

Does anyone know a number where can get some form of meaningful dialogue and answers.

Am and have been a BT landline subscriber (call charges) and service proivider (line rental) etc.. For last 19 years on this number. Wasn't a case of keeping number and being billed by someone else for the calls used on my number and paying BT line rental.

Was in effect being completely cut off and losing my home telephone number of the last 19 years!

Ws slightly un-amused at thought could do and you have 14 days or else!

Anyone able to help so can

A) find out who requested my particular number and 

B) but a bar on any request to have my number assigned to someone else without my express permission or me requesting/informing BT FIRST that I am moving or no longer want to have a BT landline number?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Someone has requested to have my home BT telephone number assigned to them!

Go to solution

There are many landline providers, BT Retail are only one of them. Sky, TalkTalk, Post Office etc, are all Service Providers.

Its Openreach that own the lines, and Service Providers rent them, and then supply services to their customers.

Its possible someone has given the wrong address, especially if you are in an apartment block.

Either way, you have 10 days to contact BT Retail, your supplier, to tell them there has been a mistake.

The 10 day period was introduced by Ofcom, to reduce the incidence of "slamming.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @RiverFisher,

What @Keith_Beddoe has said is correct. I would say it is more than likely that someone is moving house and has given your address by mistake to their new provider.

I'll be able to take a look at this for you and I can make sure that the transfer of service is canceled. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

RiverFisher
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that, so maybe open reach are the people to try to talk to..

Live in a detached house, and isn't much chance of confusion as has a notable/unique name in the village I live..

But wasn't a case of just being billed for calls, was a case that my actual telephone number would be reassigned to someone elses house.

Tried open reach, they said they only dealt with boxes etc.. When could get though to someone could talk to..

So they were in effect going to unplug my line from the box and attach to someone elses house, who had strangely requested my particular number? So suspect foul play

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Openreach won't deal with the public. I strongly recommend you take up PaddyB's offer

0 Ratings
RiverFisher
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks have just PM'd PaddyB, and given house name and details.. 🙂

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

You cannot use PM to contact him, you must use the contact form as shown on his profile.

See note in his signature.

Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You

0 Ratings
RiverFisher
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Keith 🙂

Was a bit of a newbie, so PaddyB Pm'd me with the link so filled out..

Many thanks for all help and replies 🙂

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @RiverFisher,

I've had a look at our email queue and can see we have your details. There are a few cases ahead of you in the queue and we will reply as soon as we can.

Thanks

PaddyB

RiverFisher
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that PaddyB Smiley Happy

Was told someone specifically requested to have my current BT landline telephone number as their new one.

Can see how if someone was moving from say salisbury to swindon could request to have the same last 6 digit number but with the new area code.. But don't understand why wouldn't be told sorry is already assigned. Plus was only given 14 days to respond else my number would have been reassigned, which would have created a lot of personal and financial damage to myself..

So thanks for looking into and hoping can block any future attempt to have my number here ever reassigned without myself, with my BT customer ref number etc expressly requesting.

Thanks again for help and looking into.. Smiley Happy

Was somewhat of a shock to find could happen and the phone message I got saying was going to happen unless I quickly said no.. Fortunately wasn't off on hols for the next 2 weeks Smiley Happy

0 Ratings