Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Someone pls help, urgent!!!

Go to solution

I've recently (2 days ago) got broadband from BT. And after installing everything, I get very good wireless signal strength on my laptop. However, I haven't been able to browse or do anything online. Smiley Sad This is very frustrating for me since I work online. Can someone pls help? When I open any browser, it takes ages to load (we're talking 4-5hours here)...I manage to browse last night around midnight but it was very slow still. I don't know what seems to be the problem. I've had the exact same setting with talktalk and virginmedia before and was able to get full speed broadband from the moment the router was installed. The ASDL settings areas follows: (just to add the 0days is due to a power failure we had earlier on... I've had it connected for the past 2 days)

Pls help...Smiley Sad

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:22:18
Downstream:3.492 Mbps
Upstream:1.059 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.0 dB / 6.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):40.6 dB / 22.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.3 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):457715 / 93
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):7900267 / 179
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

8212 / 55

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Someone pls help, urgent!!!

Go to solution

are you connected to the test or master socket or somewhere else?

if you have just got Bt broadband then you need to leave it connected 24/7 for 10 days while the line trains and tries to give you the best stable connection.

can you run btspeedtester and post the results?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

can you run the http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ test and post your results.

You should be getting over twice the sync speed your showing based on your attenuation and G.992.5.

Be aware there is a 10 stabilisation period, where its best to leave your router connected 24/7.

edit: imjolly always quicker on the keys than me 😛

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

most important is that we agree action thoughSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

OK, I tried the test but I got an error message...Smiley Sad

HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout

The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely response from the upstream server it accessed in attempting to complete the request.

0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

You might need a MOD to have a look at this for you, but be aware they usually are unable to do anything until the 10 day period is up.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Allow up to 72 hrs for a response

edit: are you connected wireless or via a wired connection? A wired connection would eliminate any problems caused by wireless.

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

btspeedtester has been having problems from other posts but it would help if you keep trying - sorry - should just need your phone number entered   just a thought - you do have java enabled on you machine?

mellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

I've tried both wired and wireless with the same problem.  I do have java enabled and I'll try the test until I get something.

Also, I wanted to know what the 10 days thinggy is all about. Does that mean, I won't be able to browse for 10 days??Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

your stats show a 3mb connection but the download speed is controlled by your profile which is nly shown when you run btspeedtester.  you can brose as much as you want during training period

mellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

With the speed I'm getting, I don't think I'll be able to browse. It's practically non-existent. If it doesn't improve by Monday, I'm afraid I'll have to give up BT and get a different provider; otherwise my work will suffer.Smiley Sad I've never had so much hassle with my broadband before.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies. I'll keep trying the test for now and hopefully, I'll be able to solve this issue soon. *fingers crossed*

0 Ratings