Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Sony Bravia TV won’t connect to Internet

Go to solution

I have a Bravia, model number KDL-42W705B, and a BT Hub5. The TV has always worked fine connected to my wi-Fi wirelessly. Last week, my internet kept dropping out and BT have done all the tests and said there are no faults. Last night I tried to connect to the internet on my TV to watch amazon but it states that there is no internet connection. My WiFi is shown connected?..

I have followed all the suggested links, tried entering primary and secondary DNS figures, disabled smart setup and all that other jazz! Still it won’t connect 😡

wifi and local networks are connected but internet is a big ‘FAIL’.  The message I get from the imanual says that my router may be set up incorrectly (it’s never been changed) to connect to the internet provider and that it may be an incorrect PPPoE setting.

Someone help, please. Nothing has been changed on my TV it just stopped connecting to the internet. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Sony Bravia TV won’t connect to Internet

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Reset the home hub 5 to factory default, disable smart setup, then try again.

Factory reset your home hub

Its best to connect smart TVs using an Ethernet cable, or powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you Keith #Legend.  That appears to be working for the moment. Happy Christmas.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

@HowieM wrote:

Thank you Keith #Legend.  That appears to be working for the moment. Happy Christmas.

Excellent Smiley Happy

The home hubs have a habit of "forgetting" connections after a while, and need a factory reset to clear out old entries.

This is a problem that affects all of the home hubs.

A normal restart does not does not do this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Spoke to soon......

TV been turned off for 2 hours, turned back on again......no internet connection!!!!

ive tried another reset and it hasn’t worked.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Possibly too much wireless interference. Turn off smart wireless on the home hub , and manually select wireless channel 13, and try again.

Long term, you really need to use an Ethernet cable, or broadband extenders.

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, doesn’t work with Ethernet either. Tried a hard reset twice more and still no luck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@HowieM wrote:

Thanks Keith, doesn’t work with Ethernet either. Tried a hard reset twice more and still no luck.

That sound like a issue with the TV. How are the network settings configured on the TV, as you mentioned about a static IP address?

Static addressing is more reliable, provided you use an address outside of the DHCP range.

Try using the first example as shown on this page.

Using static IP addresses on your home network

I would try to concentrate on getting it working over an Ethernet cable, rather than wireless.

Do other devices connect to the Internet without any problems?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
No, been having issues with iPads, iPhones and PlayStation too. Router problem??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@HowieM wrote:
No, been having issues with iPads, iPhones and PlayStation too. Router problem??

That seems more likely.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Please can you access the home hub 5 connection information, you should see a screen like this.

Home Hub 5 Line Statistics example

To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

0 Ratings