cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay_Nix
Retired BT Expert
Message 21 of 50

Re: Sound Dropouts on Internet TV

Hi all users, If you are experiencing this sound dropout issue, can you please answer the following questions:- Is the audio dropout a short half-second loss of audio or do you sometimes hear prolonged stuttering lasting several seconds? Please describe as accurately as you can as we seem to have two different effects here. Also, which channels do you hear this on? This will really help our on-going investigations. You can reply to this post or PM me. Many thanks Jay
0 Ratings
PeteS1234
Beginner
Message 22 of 50

i just found this forum , I have been having the half a second gap and still having it on the Lifetime Channel. So far , this is the only channel affected.

I have switched off the box and waited a while before turning back on but it is still happening. Seems worse on some programmes (Judge Judy) than others.

0 Ratings
ShadyCreek
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 50

Last night I was getting the half second dropouts you describe on E channel. 

0 Ratings
PaulSk
Retired BT Expert
Message 24 of 50

Many thanks to everybody who provided feedback to help us identify and resolve this issue. We do read the forums regularly and it's useful when people provide detailed reports to help us.

The audio dropout and stuttering problem can occur very occasionally on all of the BT YouView boxes including the new Ultra HD box. It typically occurs during ad breaks, transitions and end credits when the video is static or has very few changes. This is a relatively rare problem though and I suspect most users won't even be aware of it.

Recordings are unaffected and should never exhibit any audio dropouts or stuttering. 

I'm pleased to report that we have investigated thoroughly and we have a fix in H22.6.0. Unfortunately I cannot confirm when this will be - it may take a while as it is being scheduled with some other changes and the update needs extensive testing before being deployed.

In the meantime, if it affects your viewing there is a very simple solution - just press PAUSE and then PLAY (or REWIND and PLAY if you missed some dialogue). That will resolve the problem completely until you change channel. 

Leebool
Contributor
Message 25 of 50

With my audio drop outs, they only last a split second and it mostly happens when near a commercial break or during.
0 Ratings
JonnyH
Beginner
Message 26 of 50

Hi all,

Does anyone have any further news on when this update will be rolled-out?

I am also experiencing the same issue with sound breaking up on the Internet channels, but only during the ad breaks. Comedy Central seems to be the most impacted.

Regards,
Jon
0 Ratings
DjMoore
Beginner
Message 27 of 50

I get a 0.5 second drop out on h2. I have the dtr2100 running 21.50.40 using hdmi or optical output to my onkyo amp.  I don't get the issue on any other channel.  Using the pause trick works.  A fix will be nice please. 

0 Ratings
TVmad1998
Contributor
Message 28 of 50

I have found that this happens more so weeks to others of the years on all Internet channels and all I can say is that MUST be down to broadband service in that the signal is being knocked out and chips inside the box just can't handle that drop or change in signal as I just can't take it that TV companies would allow them self to put out damaged sound or image ..

It could be that a digital cliff has been made by too low MB per channels for the chips to handle when signal on the broadband channges due to sound on lines .... DTT has the same trouble in the pass when transmitters powers were too low and people would get sound jumps / drops or Image blocky or both ..... today you can still get it in bad weathers or a bird sits on your aereal if you are ar the limits of your local transmitter.

So BT with box and software makers have change to give faster chips and softwares to handle the ranges of signal BT allows on there broadband or BT has make a real broadband network for real TV all the time.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 50

@PaulSk wrote:

Many thanks to everybody who provided feedback to help us identify and resolve this issue. We do read the forums regularly and it's useful when people provide detailed reports to help us.

The audio dropout and stuttering problem can occur very occasionally on all of the BT YouView boxes including the new Ultra HD box. It typically occurs during ad breaks, transitions and end credits when the video is static or has very few changes. This is a relatively rare problem though and I suspect most users won't even be aware of it.

Recordings are unaffected and should never exhibit any audio dropouts or stuttering. 

I'm pleased to report that we have investigated thoroughly and we have a fix in H22.6.0. Unfortunately I cannot confirm when this will be - it may take a while as it is being scheduled with some other changes and the update needs extensive testing before being deployed.

In the meantime, if it affects your viewing there is a very simple solution - just press PAUSE and then PLAY (or REWIND and PLAY if you missed some dialogue). That will resolve the problem completely until you change channel. 

Given that Youview have announced the commencement of software rollout on retail boxes of software 22.16.0 does this mean that the fix (expected in 22.6.0) will be available soon.

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 30 of 50

Respectfully, can I ask the mods to check when the fix to this issue will be deployed, if anything this is becoming more frequent and more disruptive to viewing. Every ad during a Sky Sports HD programme exhibited it earlier this afternoon, the crash out and crash back in is very offputting. Incidentally as I type this the latest break on ES1HD has fallen victim to this issue too.  

0 Ratings