cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_penn
Message 1 of 13

South Shields / Boldon Exchange

Hi Folks, 

This is my first post - I hope I have posted in the correct area.

After some frustration, many calls and several wasted hours, I thought I would post on here for some help / clarification.

Info

Post Code - NE34 0LR (I am told I am on the SOUTH SHILDS exchange)

Cabinet - Number 73

looking on the BT Openreach website it says that they are taking orders for my Exchange (activated 30th September) It also says that the Boldon Exchange is to be enabled today (31st December 2012)

Basically I have called up several times and have differn't information each time, the usual is we can't tell you anything - check our website blah blah.

The website says taking orders under my Postal Code but not under my telephone number, however it also says the Exchange was enabled back in September but I am told it's now today, which could be confused with the Boldon exchange?

argggghhh - can someone tell me a date that I can actually get BT Infinity as my less than 1/2 meg broadband is no good

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: South Shields / Boldon Exchange

Eventhough your exchange might be enabled, you have to wait for your local cabinet that line is connected through to be enabled. This may take sometime after the exchange is enabled, so you maybe looking for sometime in Jan onwards.

0 Ratings
mark_penn
Message 3 of 13

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for the reply, sure I understand - however they can't say if my exchange has been done, would also be good to know when the cabinet will be done also. The reason I posted is because I was told by some chap that I could get it on the 31st of December
0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

If you can locate your cab, you'll be able to see if the FTTC cab has been commissioned close to it. You'll also see Openreach vans all over the place sorting the FTTC cabs out. Haven't been past Boldon lately, but did notice a fair few OR vans around when last I went to Jarrow just before Xmas.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

@mark_penn wrote:
Hi Ratty,

Thanks for the reply, sure I understand - however they can't say if my exchange has been done, would also be good to know when the cabinet will be done also. The reason I posted is because I was told by some chap that I could get it on the 31st of December

You're very welcome. Your exchange is showing as completed. So now it is a case of waiting for the cabinet. Sometimes openreach don't release the dates for the cabinets. So it maybe a case of keeping your eye open on the number checker during Jan onwards.

0 Ratings
mark_penn
Message 6 of 13

Hi,

I saw a bit of work going on in South Shields, my cabinet is number 73 - I will take a walk to look for it, any idea how to locate online?
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

@mark_penn wrote:
Hi,

I saw a bit of work going on in South Shields, my cabinet is number 73 - I will take a walk to look for it, any idea how to locate online?

I've had a look on the maps, but it is not showing that cabinet. The best bet is to have a walk in your local area (not too far) and see if there are any new cabinets that have appeared.

0 Ratings
mark_penn
Message 8 of 13

This is a good link:-

Click Here

I will take the dog for a walk, wonder if it's a new cabinet job or just an upgrade.

I live in a new build thats detatched, the houses either side have 100MB Virgin, however I can't have it because no spare cable (Virgin did a site check and said too expensive to dig up the road)

So once I can get BT infinity I will be ahppy as I work from home.

Thanks Guys

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

@mark_penn wrote:

This is a good link:-

Click Here

I will take the dog for a walk, wonder if it's a new cabinet job or just an upgrade.

I live in a new build thats detatched, the houses either side have 100MB Virgin, however I can't have it because no spare cable (Virgin did a site check and said too expensive to dig up the road)

So once I can get BT infinity I will be ahppy as I work from home.

Thanks Guys

That link only shows your exchange and not the cabinet. For Infinity they have to be new cabinets.

0 Ratings
mark_penn
Message 10 of 13

Re: South Shields / Boldon Exchange - Cabinet 73

This is interesting:-

Cabinet 73

Does this mean no work is scheduled for my cabinet?

Cabinet Probability Uplift Phase Status Type

P376%7.79aPart of deploymentFTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)
N/A34%  Not part of a phaseDirectly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported.
P4334%  Not part of a phase 
P723%11.859aPart of deploymentFTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)
P7320%  Not part of a phase

0 Ratings