Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLDack
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Spam being sent from my btinternet email address

Hi
I keep getting delivery failure emails for emails that I definitely haven't sent, to email addresses that are only stored in my iPhone contact list (a very old version of it) and a few prople have told me they have had spam emails from this account as well. I have changed the password each time, removed any saved contacts, checked for linked addresses etc but it keeps happening. I don't even use this email address, but it's the only one that is linked to my BT account for which I have phone and broadband so I'm not sure I can just delete it, Any ideas?
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Spam being sent from my btinternet email address

Your account was probably previously hacked, when Yahoo had its systems hacked, your email address and all your email contacts would have been harvested by the hackers. This means that they can send spam emails to your contacts anytime they wish without having to re-hack your account so changing your password will have no effect.

They will have spoofed your email address so that the emails appear to be coming from your account. This is to fool your contacts in to thinking the emails are from you and are safe to open. When the emails are not delivered they will be returned to your email address hence the Mail Delivery Sytem returns..

There is nothing you can do other than to stop using that email address and tell all your contacts to treat any emails from it as spam and to delete them.

You could then set up a sub-account on your BT account and use that.

See links about spoofing email addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

See link for BT info.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/394​​11/&s_intcid=con_sab_L1:smileytongue:roblem%20with%20service:L...:smileytongue::smileytongue:

0 Ratings
KLDack
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Spam being sent from my btinternet email address

Thank you for your quick response, that certainly answers some questions

I will follow the advice on the link

Regards

0 Ratings