cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoffpowers
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Spam email - again!

After a period without overt problems I am finding once again that i need to delete a substantial number of spam/unwanted emails from my inbox each day.  Is there any reason for this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Spam email - again!

Spammers have got hold of your email addy from emails you or your contacts have sent out or from sites you have registered at.

Message 3 of 7

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Spammers have got hold of your email addy from emails you or your contacts have sent out or from sites you have registered at.

The amount of spam reaching my account has increased dramatically again in the last week or so too. Most of it isn't even being identified as spam. I haven't actively used the account for several years since I lost all trust in BT Mail so it looks much more like a BT issue (again) to me.

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@geoffpowers wrote:

After a period without overt problems I am finding once again that i need to delete a substantial number of spam/unwanted emails from my inbox each day.  Is there any reason for this?

Sounds like spammers (as they normally do) have managed to find a way to circumvent the anti-spam system - which shoulds usually catch up when the signatures have been engineered.

Unfortunately those susceptible to this problem will see this bow wave for a while.

It might be possible to create a personal filter to drop/move these spam to another folder. However that's a lot easier with a mail client program rather than webmail access.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Andy_N wrote:  that's a lot easier with a mail client program rather than webmail access ...

... as is almost everything else.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
geoffpowers
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks to both of you for these helpful responses. 

I got into trouble the last time i tried to erect a filter - it worked for a while until the folks in Bangaluru complained.  As you say, it's difficult with webmail anyway.  As I said, i'm having to delete/remove a substantial number of spam messages  -30-40 per day on a bad day, but it is variable.  I will live with it for the moment and hope the problem resolves itself.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Filters in an email client are the way to go. Why should Bangalore have any say in the matter?