Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 2

Spam filter missing obvious phishing scams

I've had dozens and dozens of phishing emails over the last few months. Almost identical in content,  which follows.

Why on earth can't BT's own spam filter pick these up?

~~ phishing spam folows ~~~~~~~~~~

We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause but as stated earlier, the jams we're experiencing is due to excessive mails which are unused. This verification further proves the validity of your BTinternetaccount. Please fill in the required information below after clicking the reply button.

User ID:
Current Password:
Date of Birth:
Country of Residence:

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your BTinternet mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this BTinternetaccount if this request isn't granted on time.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 2

Re: Spam filter missing obvious phishing scams

@MarkV wrote:

I've had dozens and dozens of phishing emails over the last few months. Almost identical in content,  which follows.

Why on earth can't BT's own spam filter pick these up?

Hi.

Your title says "Spam filter missing obvious phishing scams".

I'm afraid that's exactly it ... it's obvious (to most) humes, but getting a machine/program system to pick them all up is pretty much impossible.

Anti-spam and anti-phish systems don't only check content, language or incorrectly spelt wording, they also look at mail headers, IP address source and other signatures to try to determine if it should be sent to the spam folder or not.

Spammers know this, and will therefore try to get around these systems - often by sending the same one many times, but each one slightly different in the hope one at least will get through.

0 Ratings