Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tularis
Beginner
Message 41 of 59

Re: Specific youtube videos won't play

Go to solution
smf22,

Thanks for trying to get some diagnostic information.
However the videos all did eventually load on PC via Chrome.
They NEVER loaded in the YouTube iOS app.

Is there an app that can perform DNS lookups for iOS?
Is there an app to get all the hostnames the iOS youtube is connecting too?

I'll try something via SSH and see what I get.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 42 of 59

Go to solution

@Tularis wrote:

Leverson,

The only thing that I can think of is that the YouTube iOS app trys to connect to a DNS name that gives back an IPv6 address instead of an IPv4 address. So if you have IPv6 Disabled then you can't access it and the video failes to load.

I have tried BT DNS, Google DNS and OpenDNS but all fail.

A DNS server will give back both IPv4 (A) and IPv6 (AAAA) addresses. This can be seen in my post above, albeit on a PC using nslookup. When a client has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses it can select which to use, but almost all modern OS prefer IPv6. This is very likely the reason that @Tularis and @MarkyR74 see the issue disappear when they have a router (Draytek and Hub 6) that supports IPv6.

Regards

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 43 of 59

Go to solution

@Tularis wrote:
smf22,

Thanks for trying to get some diagnostic information.
However the videos all did eventually load on PC via Chrome.
They NEVER loaded in the YouTube iOS app.

Is there an app that can perform DNS lookups for iOS?
Is there an app to get all the hostnames the iOS youtube is connecting too?

I'll try something via SSH and see what I get.

I use Android myself, but you might check whether the Hurricane Electric (he.net) Network Tools app is supported. This has a number of 'tools' including DNS and traceroute.

Regards

0 Ratings
Leverson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 59

Go to solution

latest on my chat with BT

Lee,I had a word with my supervisor.She has mentioned that the hub does not provide support to some of the original servers of the videos and those videos alone do not work

0 Ratings
Leverson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 59

Go to solution

I need to contact another department within BT to progress this. I'll have to do this another day as they are closed sundays only open mon-fri 9-5 haha.

But essentially it was re-affirmed via a phone call from the support agent that this is due to the original servers to which the videos were uploaded being not compatible with the homehub and so will not load

0 Ratings
BorisG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 59

Go to solution
What does "not compatible with the homehub" mean, in precise technical terms? It sounds like weasel words, I know as we use them at work with our customers where our software is deficient.

Does it mean the homehub does not support both IPv6 and IPv4? If so this flies directly against what BT press releases have said. They said there would be no impact to existing customers due to IPv6. But if their supplied (and paid for) hardware, the HH, does not/will not ever support IPv6 then they should replace them.

Either way, for a supposedly leading broadband supplier BT have been rubbish in this area. It's a very basic part of the modern internet to move to IPv6. BT have inventory management software that will show them a live view of who is using HH4 or other non-IPv6 compliant devices. They will also, one would hope, have sufficient FCAPS functionality to identity where failures have occurred due to IPv4/IPv6 interoperability. Seems that no-one is monitoring any such alarms in any BT NOC.

For a variety of reasons, not only this one, I've personally decided to move to the SmartHub which will arrive on Wednesday. I nearly did this a few month ago, this has tipped me over the edge. These kind of frustrating issue can wear you down and life is too short. £50 is worth it. Note, however, I would take a very different view if BT told me to do this. It's my decision to do this.

Good luck to everyone else with this issue and thanks to those who have take the time to help. It's appreciated!!
MarkyR74
Contributor
Message 47 of 59

Go to solution

Yeap, I never bothered try's mg my old Mac computer because the videos would play on my Android tablet, it took them a while to load but they did play.

i suspect someone somewhere has changed something and not bothered to tell everyone else and hence you now have an incompatibility due to settings being wrong somewhere. I worked for a massive ISP before and saw a few major well known websites suddenly stop working, it would usually be because the website operators had changed some settings and didn't bother telling tthe communications companies and so they would stop working, adjusting the settings correctly would bring them back on.

i guess you'll have to disable IPV4 and see what happens? I can't do that on the Smart Hub.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 48 of 59

Go to solution

Hi guys,

Sorry for the problems you're having streaming some Youtube videos.  From reading through the thread I see you've did some extensive work to rule things out so well done for that.

I've asked the network guys to have a look at this from our end too.

Cheers,

Robbie

DavidM
Message 49 of 59

Go to solution

Hi all,

We've had an update from our network tech guys confirming this should be sorted. Can you check the videos you're having problems with and let me know if there has been any change?

Cheers

David

Tularis
Beginner
Message 50 of 59

Go to solution

Hey,

A Very big thank you to Leverson for believeing us and getting BT to look into this.

And also a big thank you to 

0 Ratings