cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Speed Drop over years

Greetings all

I am here to ask the age old question of 'Why has my speed dropped?' When I first signed up with BT Fibre back in the happier times of 2015 I was getting a consistent speed of around 72Mbps which I was very happy with. I had noticed recently that I was losing connection to various things so logged onto my Smart Hub2 and did the usual speed test and it came back at 45Mbps. Now I know that 45 isn't a too bad a speed but why has it dropped? I have re-booted the router, ensured that nothing else is switched on (I live alone so not hard to do!) and yet no improvement. It looks like the only thing that is increasing is my monthly bill (apparently I'm a 'Gold Customer' - whatever that means) I do work in IT support so I'm not a total dummy but this is just infuriating when a service I have paid for for a number of years seems to be deteriorating right before my eyes. Please tell me that this isn't the norm!

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Speed Drop over years

Needaname wrote: "Why has my speed dropped? ... Please tell me that this isn't the norm!"

I have seen much the same here.  After getting a steady sync speed near maximum for the service for a couple of years it then dropped off to something just above the guaranteed speed, which I think has gone down a bit too (although I don't have firm records of that).  I guess that the exchange/cabinets are getting filled up as more people have signed up for fibre since we joined.  I doubt that anyone can tell you it "isn't the norm".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

@Needaname 

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As @RKM  posted the more people on the cab since you got FTTC you  get a problem with crosstalk  resulting in a speed reduction.  If you are on a Huawei can then you can get G.INP which helps boost your speed by helping with crosstalk

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

As more people go onto FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) the speeds of start to decrease. This can be caused by "cross talk"  interference between cables/wires.

To see what BT are saying you should have for your particular connection, use this checker and post the results.

Remove your phone number before posting a screen print.

Test Result (btwholesale.com)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Oops, yes!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

A lot of people on FTTC are in the same position, especially those of us unlucky enough to be on ECI DSLAMS.

When I first got FTTC in 2012/13 I got a sync rate of 80/20. My line is about 320m from the PCP and is 0.5 Copper all the way. 

Now I get about 67meg at best and I have the best performing line on my Distribution Point according to the Openreach Network Analysis System so I know there’s little to no room for improvement.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

@Starwire  Oh ye of little faith in your own employer.🤣  😄FTTP deployment will be the improvement.

Sorry I couldn't resist.😄

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+1850020524

Firmware version:v0.21.03.07094-BT

Firmware updated:Sat Oct 10 16:34:00 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:1 days,21 Hours29 Mins07 Secs

Data rate:16.453 Mbps / 51.141 Mbps

Maximum data rate:16.606 Mbps / 52.557 Mbps

Noise margin:6.1 / 6.2

Line attenuation:4.8 / 15.7

Signal attenuation:4.8 / 18.8

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:862.4 MB Uploaded  / 18.5 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-86A2CT

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-86A2CT

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:44:FE:3B:D6:EA:98

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)

67.450.9201746.2AvailableAvailable--
66.348.2201541.2AvailableAvailable--

Tried posting screenshot but file size was too large! This is a the first 2 lines of the speedtest.

0 Ratings