cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gav678
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Speed Estimator - Increase due?

Whilst waiting an age for my exchange to go to Infinity, I'm regularly checking the "Insert your landline number" section on the Infinity web page to see if the magic has happened. Needless to say it hasn't. However up to yesterday - the estimated speed for BT Total Broadband has always been between 8-12MB on that page and I pull in about 12. This corresponds with the statement - we estimate your speed to be 12MB. As of yesterday (and I know the new cabinets are up in town for Infinity but I didn't think they affected ADSL2+), that same page when I put my landline number in has changed to 13MB-16.5MB. "We estimate your speed to be 15MB" I was a little surprised at this and wondered if that is actually possible and what would have happened for that increase to be available? The exchange is EMDESBO cabinet 19. No stats have changed in my home hub, SNR is still at 27.9 and although an ADSL checker shows that 15 is achievable on that I just wondered what's happened to change the estimated speed and how do you get it. The home hub has for the last 3 myths been on 12.96 down 1.129 up. Any ideas on how that extra advertised speed can be attained appreciated. Had the estimate not changed, and that was yesterday, I'd never have known. Thanks Gavin
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed Estimator - Increase due?

Hi you need to post your full hub stats so that we can see the needed figures to advise you of the best possible speed and how you could attempt to achieve it
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gav678
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Line state:Connected
Connection time:19 days, 00:19:07
Downstream:12.96 Mbps
Upstream:1.129 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.9 dB / 15.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):49126 / 297
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):130630 / 204
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):35374 / 200

Speedtester is 11.25 Down, 0.92 Up and connected to the master socket. This speed has been constant as i said for months but as BT advertised a higher estimated speed as of yesterday I'm intrigued as to why.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

with your attenuation a connection speed of about 16mb is what I would expect.  with your stats your noise margin is normal 6db so I cannot see where increase will come from

what about connection - test or master?  other sockets in your home?

quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

with your attenuation and a perfect line i would expect a 16.5/17mb connection but there are many variables which can cause a lower connection speed then the predicted you are currently connecting at 12.9mb
you say you are connected to the master socket do you have any extension sockets and if so have you removed the bell wire from terminal 3 of every socket
it is nothing to do with infinity being activated in your area
0 Ratings