Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RussJ759
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Speed Issues using 2 x HH5 routers and power link plugs

Go to solution

I've set up a second HH5 to act as a repeater as our signal downstairs wasn't very strong.

All is working well except for a massive speed drop when the first HH is compared to the second.

Upstairs I get 58mps but downstairs its only 18.

I have used a pair of Zyxel powerline plugs to connect the second hub to the network.

They are rated at 200mps so should be capable of transmitting data at the required rate.

Before I go out and buy some more power plugs or a long ethernet cable, is there anything else I could check to determine whats causing the speed loss?

Thanks in advance

Russ

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Speed Issues using 2 x HH5 routers and power link plugs

Go to solution

Power line adaptors inherently lose speed. Your electric cables and what's connected to it can affect speeds. Make sure you don't share the same socket even if it's a double socket. The best way is with Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
RussJ759
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I did some more testing today and discovered that I was getting good speed at the remote powerlink plug so it wasn't the mains circuit.
More fiddling about revealed that all was well until the cable was plugged into a 5 way ethernet switch. All the outputs from the switch were low. I discarded the switch and used the ports in the HH5 instead and now I'm getting 48+mps - more than enough for my needs. Hopefully no more buffering!

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Sounds like you've got the bottom of this @RussJ759. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings