Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Speed Issues

Hi All,

Hping you may be able to help.

Up until Recently i was getting around 20 Mbits down and about 9.5mbits up, however about 2 weeks ago tis changed and down speed increased slightly to about 23Mbits, but upload dropped to 3mbits.  About his time the modem stated to drop out during the day once in the morning for around 20 mins and normally again in the afternoon.

Kelly Communications came out and replaced my router for the upgraded one today, but i appear to be back to getting 21Mbits but still getting between 3 - 5Mbits Upload.

Is it possible that modem problems were causing my IP Profile to be lowered?  Is there a way to get this reset now the modem has been replaced.

I know neighbours of mine who are getting far superiour speeds to me.

Regards,

Dan.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Speed Issues

Hi Dan and welcome.

I have also recently had my white Openreach modem replaced...

I was worried as everything was going fine and thankfully it still is.

To give us an idea what the BT equipment has set you on can you run the FTTC part in the http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

By doing the test WIRED it will eliminate any possible wireless issues.

Then can you post the results you achieve.... An example of my results showing the IP internet profile max speed the exchange has set me on a bit down in THIS POST.

It may be you have a low IP profile and you could try after running the test and noting the IP.... turning off and then on the Modem and HH3 router to see if it will force a profile change, see THIS POST and it's link to Nige's post regarding a good time of day to do the forced reset.

After waiting an hour you the BT speedtester will let you try another test.

In the meantime http://www.speedtest.net/ is useful.

If you have no luck improving things you could contact the BT forum Mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Add your URL to the form eand explain all the checks you've tried ureself to improve the profile.

They will reply however may take 72hrs or so due their workload.

It is not normally a good idea to turn off the white Openreach modem but as your outside the 10 day training period it will be OK to do occasionally for test purposes only. Basically it may give your exchange DLM equipment a false indication of a bad line if it sees too many disconnections/turn offs.

Edit

Btw in case you are using wireless, the speeds you mentioned could be from using wireless g.... wireless n will give you a faster speed assuming your IP max speed is more than 20Mbps or so. See THIS POST for speed comparisons and it's links.

Good Luck

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Hi youngdand.

I would give it the ten days now that you have had the modem replace to see if the line sorts itself out and then post your speed results and IP profile.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 21265 Kbps

0 Kbps26520 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 21265 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-26520 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -26520 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 4588 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4588 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance

0 Ratings