I have been running speed test a couple of times a day to check on the link speed after some problems.
I now find that for the last few tests I get a "Exception::Connection Refused" error, then the progress bar continues to 100% and after a few seconds returns to the first screen.
Has anyone any experience of this or knowledge of the possible cause & solution.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Finally sorted it... I ended up putting my full BT email address in the conformation box, and its working again.
even then your connection speed didnt get speed up then you better contact your service provider..
Hey,just follow some tips to make your speed up
-->Configure your browser so it won't display graphics, animations, sound, video or other multimedia content (see "How to Turn Off Sounds, Pictures or Video on Web Pages").
-->Surf when Internet traffic is low. Heaviest traffic is usually on weekends and evenings.
-->Use your cache effectively. "Cache" refers to storage space where your recently visited Web sites are saved. You may need to resize your cache allotment, or you may need to purge your cache periodically. Look through your browser's menus for items named Cache, Temporary Internet files and so on.
-->Upgrade your modem.
-->Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
-->Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
and now check your connection speed here Ip-Details.com