cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Speed decrease after changing to BT Hub 5A from 5B

Last Friday my HH5B decided to give in, just sat there with an orange light flashing away, wouldnt go solid blue.

I had a spare HH5A which I attach and bingo it syncs and broadband restored however my speed has dropped from approx 68 meg to 52 meg.  Now BT say no fault and are sending me another router hopefully a 5B, funny as the broadband checker actually states a minimum speed of 66meg with a max of 70meg, I didnt even thin they stated a 'minimum' speed but apparently so, and funny as i was actually getting more before the router broke.  Its been stable for nearly 5 days and no DLM increase seen.

Thing is my router went pop when we had a bad thunderstorm, heavy rain and lightening, conincidence maybe??

The below are my router stats, does the noise etc look within limit?  

BTHub 5A

Data rate 19993/57362  (my ip profile is approx 52meg)

Max date rate 21366/77436

Noise Margin 6.3/10.7

Line Attenuation 10.4/11.6

Signal Attenuation 10.3/11.6

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Speed decrease after changing to BT Hub 5A from 5B

Looks like DLM has kicked in probabley due to the hub giving up.

Try a quiet line test 17070 option 2. Any noise report a line fault.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Thought as much.  Is it likely that DLM will increase the speed back?  If not I will have to make the dreaded call to BT

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 7

If there is no longer any fault on the line then DLM should relent but it can take several weeks.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

It's also worth noting the 5a and 5b use different chipset manufacturers.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Yes I had read about the 5A and 5B although looking the same werent.  Hopefully it will be a 5B i get later today.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 7 of 7

Hi @wenklaw,

I would say @pippincp is correct and it the DLM that has reduced the speeds as a result of the disconnections with your faulty hub. As long as your connection remains stable you'll see your speed return to normal.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings