My Infinity connection was installed in June 2015 and initially would not go over 10mbs download. A BT employee from Northern Ireland (Eamon, I think), then discovered a problem, rectified it and within minutes I was enjoying download speeds averaging around 70mbs.
Roll forward to around December and I noticed this had dropped to around 50mbs and now, in September, I am struggling to get above 15mbs. Upload is now actually quicker.
I have done all he relavent tests; connected directly via gig-ethernet and nothing else connected. I have even power cycled the hob but nothing seems to have resolved the issue.
I have tried chat to an operative (very obviously offshore) who insists everything is fine and wants to send an engineer out - very insistent about that - with the attendant threat of a charge if it turns out to be an issue in the problem. NOTHING has changed since installation as the broadband connection is on a decicated line (we have a different line for a telephone).
The operative was that insistent about sending an engineer that I am wondering if they have spotted something! They tell me everything "looks fine" from the exchange yet the BT Wholesale speed checker tells me download is only 18mbs (Oookla says 15).
I would REALLY appreciate it if someone at BT could have a look at the line. Something has clearly changed and I wonder why I should be paying more for "up to 70mbs" download when I am not getting it and could save money by switching to "up to 38mbs" instead.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply. My degraded speed is more an annoyance than a problem given I pay for up to 76mbs but get less than 20! It would save me money to drop to Infinity 1 rather than Infinity 2 but I do not want to do that. Yet!
I have conducted a lot more testing since my first post and done so in the proper manner (direct ethernet connection, nothing else connected to the hub etc). I still cannot get anything above 20Mbs download and often have a quicker upload speed according to OOKLA speedtest.
I have also used the BT Wholesale speed checker (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and followed the instructions RELIGIOUSLY! This confirms my speed is degraded to below 20MBs download. I did note my IP Profile was around 62Mbs (a long time ago it was far lower but one of you guys - Eamon I think - sorted that out and I was enjoying speeds between 60 and 70 Mbs download for quite some time).
Interestingly, when I run the TAP3 test having changed the username on the hub as requested, the download speed is 17.4Mbs and upload of 3.1 Mbs. I get the message "Your service is performing poorly" and "Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test".
For some unknown reason, I also appear to have an open fault (VOL053-**********) - not sure how I managed to raise that assuming it was actually me!!!
To summarise; I am convinced there is a problem affecting my download speed which means I am getting less than a third of the speeds I used to get for quite some time after getting Infinity 2 unlimited. NOTHING has changed with my wiring which is in a sealed space beneath kitchen seating since the Openreach engineer installed the broadband connection.
I would really appreciate it if someone could try to find out where the fault lies and rectify it!
Should've taken the offer of an engineer to begin with. They have to advise of a possible charge if the engineer finds it is due to internal wiring, connecting to the test socket rules that out.
So sorry! I left it downstairs when I went for coffee and left it there.
I'm here now and will try to rememeber to keep it on me in future.
As discussed, I have re-run the TAP3 test and, sadly, it seems to have actually got worse!
This morning, the worst TAP3 test result was download of 8.9 MBs while upload is 2.97 Mbs. I have noted the same general degradation using OOKLA speedtest at various times last night and this morngin although that was using wireless in the same room as the hub. I have a laptop connected to the hub via Ethernet (and have used 2 different cables including a brand new one). No one else is in this morning and all wireless devices are off.
Co-incidentally, that mysterious fault (VOL053-*************) has appeared on the fault tracker as "Fixed". I have not closed it yet (no other options available to me).
I will re-run the test again a little later and intermittently through the day. Any thoughts on the next step?
Thanks for your call on Tuesday. All seems to be working well now following the engineers visit. I have continued to test from time to time and am getting around 60Mbs down 17.5Mbs up via ethernet. WiFi is far less impressive but that is more likely to be something for me to investigate further (I can't get much above 20 download standing a few meters away and previously managed 50/60 from a PC 2 floors and some distance away).
I will continue to monitor and test for a few days before starting to troubleshoot the wifi settings but am fairly satisfied the issue has been resolved. Many thanks for your help which was extremely professional, helpful and lead to a successful resolution!
For those interested, the engineer confirmed by wiring was abolsutely fine but he detected higher resistence on the line than would otherwise be considered acceptable. He checked out connectivity at the last pole before the house and two further "down stream" and also spent sometime at the cabinet near the exchange; not sure what he did but he was up one pole for quite some time! I (vaguely) recall another engineer being at the same pole earlier this year connecting a new neighbour. Perhaps there was a knock on effect or it was something totally unrelated - know knows (or cares)...