Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bat21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Speed drop from 7mb to 2mb

Go to solution

So here we are 12 months after the last time this happened and the problem is back again, only just getting 2mb from the normal 7mb that we have been getting for the last year or more.

I have now called the call center in India 6 times and have had to go through their check every time, yes I have a square socket, yes it has two screws, and it has two ports one for the router to plug in and one for the phone... arrgh.

This issue has been going on for a week now and despite being told several times that it has been fixed, the slow speed is still very much as slow.

Our village is served by a temporary interruption cable that has been there for over 25 years and almost every year something like this happens.

The folks in the call center just can not seem to grasp the fact that to fix a damaged cable someone physically needs to come here. Last time this happened the Open Reach engineer found numerous faults and bad connections.

How can I convince the guys in Mumbai that it really needs to be fixed with a 'hands on' approach rather than the "I will do some more checks this end sir".

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Speed drop from 7mb to 2mb

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Bat21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice on what to post up.

I have a BT Home Hub 3.

OpenReach ADSL v10 filtered master socket with the router plugged straight into the ADSL port and phone in the other port. No other socket in the house.

ADSL statistics:-

BT Speedtester results:-

The line test result was totally quiet with no hissing or crackling.

I hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

the slow download speed is due to your profile only being 2mb. someitmes the profile sticks at this level so you need to remain connected 24/7 for 3+ days and if no change then repost your adsl and btspeedtester stats and then you can contact the mods for help.

profile should normally reset automatically in 3+ days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Bat21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply. The guys at the call centre have always insisted on the router being reset, I did this earlier this evening hence the reason for the up time being so short. I will let you know on Sunday how things are, but from experience over the last week I'm not holding much hope.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Ip profiles drop because of a number of hub disconnections/restarts the important thing is a stable 24/ 7 connection and as imjolly has posted unless it has stuck at 2mb will rise automatically after 3+ days
Bat21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Had a call from BT today who said that they had reset my profile and all was okay.

When I got home this evening I checked and this is the case as my speed is now an acceptable 6.59.

Still don't know what the cause was but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Many thanks for the help here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Glad all is now ok please post back if you have any problems in the future there is always someone around to help
0 Ratings