Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harassed_Dad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Speed drop if left alone

Go to solution

Recently had BT Infinity installed by a very helpful Openreach Engineer.  When up and running, download speeds of between 35 and 38 Mbps were achieved, even better than the prediction before installation.

Unfortunately, when left to its own devices the speed drops (latest BT speed test showed download of 0.234 Mbps).  This seems to happen each time the internet is not used for a while - I'm still narrowing down the exact length of time required idle for the speed to drop.

Initially, I reset both the white modem and the hub (BT Homehub 3 Type B) and the speed was restored.  While fault diagnosing, I only restarted the hub (switch on the side) and the speed was restored.

My setup is fully wired, with a current generation iMac and the latest updates to OSX Lion.  Does anyone have a settings solution I could have overlooked or is it a faulty hub?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Speed drop if left alone

Go to solution

I doubt it's the hardware, dozens of people are seeing EXACTLY the same problem - speeds around 37.5 megs which steadily drop down to 2-3 megs or below. I have found a disconnect and then a reconnect in the "Internet" section of the Hub manager works just fine to restore the speed. The one thing to note is that when you do this, you get a new IP address dolled out.

I just hope someone from BT is monitoring this situation because it's extremely annoying and frustrating having to recycle the HH3 every day or so.

Using W7 and XP. destop and laptops. wired and wireless.

Rob

0 Ratings
Harassed_Dad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Additional info...

Early morning speedtests - hub left alone overnight, wireless restarted at 0700; speed checked at 0725, internet disconnected then connected via hub manager and re-checked at 0730, the results from Speedtester.net were as follows:

Ping  21ms

Downstream  0.18mbps

Upstream  0.41mbps

Ping  12ms

Downstream  36.7mbps

Upstream  1.83mbps

Also ran ping test on the line

Packet loss  0%

Ping  100ms

Jitter  59ms

Packet loss  0%

Ping  34ms

Jitter 1ms

If I'd been given the results with no context, I'd have thought they were 2 different lines, one with a serious issue and one with BT Infinity.  The only thing done to the line or setup was to disconnect and connect to the internet from the hub settings page, no other restarts, power changes or difference.  Perhaps, given the solution was to re-negotiate the internet line with the exchange the issue may be further upstream than my equipment.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Sounds JUST like the issue I have

Rob

0 Ratings
Harassed_Dad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

To continue the story...

Very helpful Engineer came out to us yesterday on the second visit appointment.  First engineer may or may not have been as helpful, but as he didn't arrive at the house it is hard to tell.  After the first appointment was a no-show, I contacted the helpline again and the lady there dispatched a replacement Hub3.  Trials with the replacement hub showed a speed drop on the line (it was a Type A, the originally supplied one was a Type B).  Swapped out the replacement for the original and had slightly better results - enough to leave the original hub in place and the alternative waiting for the next engineer visit.

During the intervening 9 days, the speed was erratic.  Only once did the Hub3 show its original symptoms, dropping to sub 1Mbps.  The trade off, unfortunately, seemed to be wildly varying speeds.  Provisioning estimated our speed at 32Mbps, the IP Profile is 38.71Mbps and the 'acceptable range' is 12-38.71Mbps.  We tested using multiple speed testers, 3 different computers with 3 different OS, wired and wireless, over different times of the day and night and the results were from 3Mbps to 37Mbps with no consistency but at each speed point all the computers correlated the result (eg: if the iMac showed 3.5Mbps the other two were within 0.5Mbps of that result).

The helpful engineer was very thorough - checked all the sockets in the house and all the line connections.  Replaced the master socket faceplate again, new Openreach modem, new hub.  His test equipment showed the sync rate at 40Mbps, the line max at 51Mbps and no errors.  After a prolonged set of phone calls, Wholesale tried to set the speed for the line at 13Mbps - something he rejected with the same logic as me - if it holds a steady sync at 40Mbps, can work at over 38Mbps but is getting low throughput why set the sync lower (and outside "Infinity" criteria - less than 15Mbps during install cancels the job).

Wholesale tried some more things at their end, culminating in a monitor the speed bit for a while and the reset seemed to have worked.  The speed tests slowly climbed back to the mid 30Mbps again - perfect.

Unfortunately, by last night we were under 6Mbps again with an unchanged IP profile.  This morning, over 34Mbps.  The engineer mentioned a "lift and shift" as the only thing left to do.  When we lived in the SE, we had a moment when our phone line was paired with another - you could hear the echoes of the other voices when both were on the line at the same time and it killed the dial-up connection we had at the time.  As we live in a highly populated area, could they have done the modern equivalent to this?  We should have an Openreach depot here as hardly a day goes by without seeing a BT van parked somewhere nearby.

0 Ratings
Harassed_Dad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Almost do not want to write this post in case it causes the speed to drop again, but image below shows the speed test history of the line:

speedtest.jpg

The sudden stability was 7 days ago - it appears the solution to random speed is a thorough and professional Openreach Engineer.  Variation is now less than 10% - easily attributable to server congestion and small enough to make no practical difference to the users in the house.

Thank you BT and Openreach.

0 Ratings
slaybourn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Harrassed_Dad,

I'm glad you've solved your problem (touch wood!).  I've had the same problem for a month now and its taken until today for an engineer to visit (one was supposed to turn up last friday afternoon but I assume the pub was a better option than another customer!).

I've tried to follow your explanation, but I must be a bit thick because I don't understand exactly how your issue was solved...was it replacing the hone hub, the 'lift and shift' you mentioned, or something else?  I really appreciate your help...this is doing my head in!

0 Ratings
Harassed_Dad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Don't worry - you were not being thick as I don't really know what happened to fix the issue either.

While we had 3 hubs and 2 modems in the process of checking everything, the thing that seemed to work was the engineer taking the time to fight through 2 different 'engineer' call centres.  One of them was definitely linked to BT Wholesale.

From the customer side, showing that it couldn't possibly be my kit - 3 computers with 3 different OS, one tablet and multiple network cables - helped narrow down the options, as did using speedtest.net because it stores your results and gives an easy to follow graph.

I believe something like this happened:

- After the phonecall from the engineer, Wholesale weekend staff reset line and left a note for the main staff to check the settings on the Monday.

- Monday shift pick up the weekend job list and check settings for our line, notice an incorrect setting and adjust it.  Line now works as advertised.

It is possible that the engineer, while already having gone above and beyond to sort the line, checked the status on Monday and completed a lift and shift without another appointment, I think the first scenario is more likely given how busy the Openreach engineers are in my area.

Sorry the solution isn't that clear - it would be much easier if it was 'check switch A is in position 3'.  Hope you have the same standard of engineer we got as he was excellent.

0 Ratings
dersam
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

We've already had a "lift and shift" I believe and that has NOT cured our issue.  BT Retail also told me that BTW spotted some config issues on the line and made alterations - however we still get the slow down to 0.6mbps within 24 hours of disconnecting and reconnecting the DSL or rebooting the home hub (and or OR modem).

Have a 4th engineer comming tomorrow so fingers crossed or it'll be time to cancel the BT contract which will be fun as I paid up front for a years line rental!

0 Ratings
jcd998
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Yes .. I get the same problem .. BT infinity 2 .. 67mbs .. drops to 4 ~ 5 mbs

Reboot the router and it's all fine again.

BT replaced the router 3 * now .. still same problem .

BT .. India cannot get it round there heads either

...Anyone got any ideas yet ????

0 Ratings