the speed variations are too big
and then theirs the out of order packets
its a fault
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 63

Re: Speed drop

The OoO packets I think are just down to congestion, they happen more in the peak times than during the mornings.

In-fact, looking at the logs the queue rarely goes above 24 during the day, it's in the evening after 4:00PM when they really kick off!

So I wouldn't have thought them down to a line fault!

The speed variations are immense and a problem, it's just how I get them to admit there is a fault on the line!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 43 of 63

Apparently I am actually on this and not 40/10:

Up to 76Mb download speed

Up to 19Mb upload speed

I spoke to BT on the phone today and they've said there's not a fault on the line and they're not under any obligation to do anything until it drops below 12mbps.

As far as noise issues, there has been literally no change to anything in my house when these speed changes occurred. No extra appliances, nothing has been moved. So unless someone's been tinkering with the street lights outisde, it looks like I'll never get an answer. Thanks anyway for your responses and helping me understand this a little better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 44 of 63

no your not
your on 40/10
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 63

@Chri5 wrote:

Apparently I am actually on this and not 40/10:

Up to 76Mb download speed

Up to 19Mb upload speed

I spoke to BT on the phone today and they've said there's not a fault on the line and they're not under any obligation to do anything until it drops below 12mbps.

As far as noise issues, there has been literally no change to anything in my house when these speed changes occurred. No extra appliances, nothing has been moved. So unless someone's been tinkering with the street lights outisde, it looks like I'll never get an answer. Thanks anyway for your responses and helping me understand this a little better.

Now that BT have said there is no fault on your line I would ask them to reset your IP Profile to an appropriate value. I assume that your line is stable with  disconnections less than one per week.  BT are obliged to give you the service you are paying for and promise to give you the best speed your line will support.  You should also ask them if BT Wholesale has put a cap on your line and if they have ask them to remove it.   If you get no joy with that raise a complaint. I can give you the URL for emailing a complaint if you cannot find it.   As I said in my original post it is likely that your profile has been lowered for no good reason. Keep monitoring your speed and profile using BT Speed tester any other speed tester is only useful for your own personal consumption. BT  Speed tester results are sent to BT automatically. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 46 of 63

the profile shows he is on 40/10
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 63

Well, the past few days have been interesting, it's gradually come back up to speed and now look at these stats!

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 09.36.21.png

This has been running now for approx 24 hours like this, just look at the number of Reed-Solomon and CRC errors!

So once the DLM has lifted, all my problems have vanished - how very strange!

Although the OoO packets are still the same, the line is now more stable and hasn't caused any file loss yet, it's only taken 27 fill inits over 3 weeks to get here!

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 09.40.37.png

Here are the modem stats.

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 09.43.09.png

How long it will stay like this is anybody's guess, but for now it looks like it's back up as it should be!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 63

Just to add, with regards to the OoO packets, doing a speed test in the morning circa 9:48AM means I get these kind of results

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 09.46.26.png

Do the same in the evening, this was last night after approx 7:30PM

Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 07.40.41.png

So to me, the OoO packets which are causing streaming issues are definately down to congestion, and an iinfrastructure that cannot cope.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 63

Speed Test 13:20, and these are the results, will do another one at 18:00 and 21:00 and post the results

I would have expected this as it is half-term and I would have imagined the usage to be higher, still not as high as it has been though!

Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 13.23.56.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 50 of 63

v8growl, I suggest unlocking the openreach modem and setting up the stats loging script, leave it running and it might shed some light on the situation.

I had a drop of 10Mb sync and interleving turned on, so I fired up the logging and waited, sure enough I was getting lots of errors during the evening but not every day...

OHFErr.png

I didn't bother reporting it and it's since sorted itself out, now there are no periods of increased errors and I'm back up to full sync with interleving off.

Knowing the reason made it a lot less frustrating. I could also see it improving which was nice, whatever the cause was hopefully it won't be back but as long as there is a metalic path it's always a possibility. Can't wait to see the price for FTTPoD, it will vary I know but I hope it won't be too silly.

0 Ratings