cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maggie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Speed drop :(

ive had over 50meg download and now its dropped by 12meg and they say its my fault for turning the power off to the box .. Can't be right can it?

Any help would be great ?

Cheers

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: Speed drop :(

Hello, follow these steps!

1. Visit www.speedtester.bt.com

2. Tick the box and slect "ADSL & FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) diagnostics

3. Enter your home telephone number, service ID is not required leave it blank

4. When finished, copy the page here with the IP profiles

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
maggie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 41.45 Mbps

0 Mbps43.81 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 41.45 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-43.81 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 43.81 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 8.23 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.23Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

even after i spoke to the chap yesterday on the phone he said i should still getting 50+ meg if its not sorted ill be moving my business some where else ..:(

0 Ratings
maggie1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

I had another chat with a guy from india who says some 1 from a different departmen is going to ring me in the next 48 hrs to see what they are going to do next..

Here are a couple of speed checks i have done and you can see the drop in spedd ;(

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2236958977.png

http://speedtest.net/result/2234535838.png

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 22

Nothing you can really do at those speeds, what was your estimate? If it was 76mbps you might be able to get a reset but  I doubt that's anything close to your estimate looking at your upload.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 22

@ryant704 wrote:

Nothing you can really do at those speeds, what was your estimate? If it was 76mbps you might be able to get a reset but  I doubt that's anything close to your estimate looking at your upload.

Why would the OP want to get a reset?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 22

Well he claims he got just over 50meg and it dropped due to him restarting his hub and dropped because of DLM. I wouldn't want a reset on that line but OP is obviously is expecting more.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 22

Well you may be right about the OP's "expectation" ... and clearly you have heard of DLM ....

But in truth, it's far better to let DLM improve the line dynamically, than force a reset.

Because in the long term the connection will benefit from its own line history ... and if left to its own devices

will produce a better end product, with less intervention by others, and especially if it is fault free.

All lines, and even Infinity can expect fluctuations in both throughput and sync rate, it's expected and designed that

way to cope with traffic, environmental conditions and ever-changing circumstances on the network.

Far better to preach the actions of DLM itself than load Openreach up with what can happen on its on valition.

If reparation is required, that's different, but here .... it's a cold shut case, to leave it alone.    😉

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 22

@RogerB wrote:

Well you may be right about the OP's "expectation" ... and clearly you have heard of DLM ....

But in truth, it's far better to let DLM improve the line dynamically, than force a reset.

Because in the long term the connection will benefit from its own line history ... and if left to its own devices

will produce a better end product, with less intervention by others, and especially if it is fault free.

All lines, and even Infinity can expect fluctuations in both throughput and sync rate, it's expected and designed that

way to cope with traffic, environmental conditions and ever-changing circumstances on the network.

Far better to preach the actions of DLM itself than load Openreach up with what can happen on its on valition.

If reparation is required, that's different, but here .... it's a cold shut case, to leave it alone.    😉

I've never seen DLM increase someones profile, was some other thread were he was 75 days connected where he had 65mbps profile then turned it off for an electrician and put it down to 55mbps and also claimed before those 65 days he was on a 75mbps profile so... I've seen it in increase by 0.2 but never anywhere where it has greatly like it does reduce it.

0 Ratings
lovestosurf
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

The post you're referring to was mine 🙂 -> http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-IP-Profile/td-p/660138

...and I agree the likihood, from my experience, the DLM increasing the profile to the same extent as it drops it is very unlikely even if your connection has been stable for quite a while

0 Ratings