icepuffin
Contributor
Message 11 of 39

Re: Speed dropped below 1mb

now managed to do a BTW speed test.

download speed 0.74

upload speed 0.92

ping 28.88

tried to do a full diagnostic but first time it timed out, managed to get it on second try but it wanted me to change passwords to complete and not confident enough to know how to change it.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 39

were you doing the speedtest using a wired connection as wireless tests are unreliable due to external interference
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 13 of 39

it was a wireless connection.

have the test results I have submitted been any good in identifying the issue?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 39

only wired speedtests will be accepted by BT as wireless is subject to to much external interference
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 39

the stats from your hub show you have around a 5.7Mbps connection speed
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 16 of 39

well now I'm confused, I have tried two different speed checkers and they both give the same results at about 1.4 mb. and when downloading such things as virus updates or an ipad app it was just at a crawl, the slowest I have experienced, so what are my options now?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 39

only the results from this speedtest using a wired connection are accepted by BT http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 39

wireless speedtests are unfortunately very unreliable this why they are not accepted
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 39

If the issue is wirless then all speedtests will report the same. As above you need to test with a computer of laptop connected directly to the hub via Ethernet
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 20 of 39

Thanks, so what is the likely cause then of having such a slow connection because as I say I haven't had any previous issues with the computer up until the last couple of days, when it's just become so slow?

0 Ratings