Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 39

Re: Speed dropped below 1mb

Have you tried changing the wireless channel. 

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 22 of 39

if i switch the router off and then back on will that be the same as changing channel?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 39

no that will not do it you need to change the channel manually
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 39

@icepuffin wrote:

if i switch the router off and then back on will that be the same as changing channel?

That will probably give you a different IP address but does nothing to your wireless connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 25 of 39

tried to down load inssider, first time said it would take 9 minutes but timed out , second time said it would be 4 hours, so not been able to download yet.

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 26 of 39

managed to use an ethernet cable, tried to run a speed test. came back with 'problem with speed test will run test again' then came back with 'something went wrong with speed test ' and that was that. ( i had switched off the ipad  so only one computer running.

I've tried everything I can think of now, is it possible that someone from BT please do a line and router test from thier side to try and bottom out the problem.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 39

if you are having problem with inssider then try a wireless analyser on your ipad which will show wireless channels in use then select the least populated for your hub

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 28 of 39

finally managed to download inssider.

I dont understand most of the programme, but it appears 3 of us on a BT network are using channel11. however according to the stats no co channeling and no overlapping. also my link score is 100 which i think is very good.

my signal is -50dbm ( whatever this means)

I have tried as suggested changing channel to both 1 and 6 but both these indicated co-channeling and overlapping.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 39

Have you tried channel 13 as usually least used

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 30 of 39

It didn't like me changing to channel 13 , it said that 12 and 13 might not be available ( or something similar) but it did change the link score dropped to 55 and channel changed to 40-44.

0 Ratings