Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobhc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Speed dropped

Hey guys,

I had been wondering why my connection seemed slightly slower than usual lately, and I've just checked and realized I'm connecting at a lower rate that usual. I've been connected at 7125 for at least 4-5 years now, and I'm not sure when the problem started but now I'm connecting at 6240.

Nothing in my setup has changed, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Speed dropped

Can you enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser then enter hub manager and post the adsl stats. Can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test

Are you connected to test socket?

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
cobhc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

I'm not using a HH modem, but here are the stats from the TP-Link TP-8817 I'm using.

Downstream    Upstream    

SNR Margin

:
    12.5     21.0    db

Line Attenuation

:
    22.0     14.0     db

Data Rate

:
    6240     448     kbps

Max Rate

:
    5536     1024     kbps

POWER

:
    20.0     12.0     dbm

CRC

:
    0    0    

Speedtest Diagnostic

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    5.25 Mbps

0 Mbps    7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6.24 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

If you could get your 12db noise margin down to normal 6db or thereabouts then that would bring your connection speed back to expected

With your attenuation i would expect a connection speed of 8mb and profile of 7.15mb

Is there anything in stats that shows connection time?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
cobhc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Yeah, I thought that was a little high. The connection time would be useless as I just unplugged everything and plugged it back in again, guess I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

If you can get to 3+ days connection time then repost your router stats again showing the connection time and then maybe get mods to reset your noise margin back to normal with your speed increasing back to 8mb

cobhc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

My TP-Link Router doesn't show connection time, maybe because I'm using it in bridged mode with an Asus RT-AC66U doing the PPPOE authentication?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Mods normally like to see 3+ days connection time to show connection stable before resetting the noise margin

cobhc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Guess I'll have problems then as the router doesn't show connection time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

When mods read these post they will contact you and reset noise margin to get your speed back. Afte you complete the email link it can take the mods 3/5 working days to contact you again by either email or phone

Adsl connection is normally pppoa