Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Speed drops and line noise

Go to solution

Hi all

Having a few issues with my adsl2+ in the last week or so, So far i have done multiple tests, removed the extentions from the master to rule out any internal faults, checked all terminations and even removed and punched down wiring

changed the master to rule that out (v1.0 to a NTE5c), Checked and done resistance and capacitance  tests from the incomming drop to the master

i have traced the fault down as far as i can, The symptoms are, the line has a hiss and you can here the adsl with the router connected disconnect the router the line clears, reconnect the router and you can here it handshake and the hiss returns, on a quite line test the line intermetantly clears but as soon as you clear down the noise is back

Before the issue i got 12-15mb down and around 1-2mb up now my ip profile has dropped it to 8mb down and 0.37 up - my ping has dropped through the floor it was 6-8ms now its 18-100ms depending on the server making game play next to impossible

I have ruled out the router as i have the same issues with the 4 routers i have tested (known good - HH4, Draytek 2830, Known good - Netgear DG834 v4 and a brand new adsl/vdsl Draytek 2860ac)

Here's a snapshot of the draytek (telnet)

bad adsl.JPG

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Speed drops and line noise

Go to solution

I think you have answered your own question, get the noisy line fixed and your speed should improve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

All of bt's test come back clear - phoning india is like banging your head against a brick wall as there reading from a script, i am reluctant to book an engineers visit as it could be £130

It seems like a high resistace fault, thinking about it it could be releated to the storm we had as its mainly overhead copper around here

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

well my upload speed has gone to 34000 bps good one bt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I bit the bullet and booked a engineer for monday, fingers crossed its a simple fix

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
if you want to avoid the charge then you need to check the line noise is at the test socket if it is there is no charge
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

There is line noise as soon as the router handshakes as above i have test everything as you can see above the speeds are slow upload speeds are 70% and downloads are 50% of what they where and the line att is over double, tested at the faceplate with no extentions connected - same fault

I dont use poor/cheap equipment my draytek router has been working flawlessly for many years but i did test with other equipment that are know good

bt failed to book the appointment with openreach correctly so i have wasted a day, confirmed with bt/openreach for another appointment Cat Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just to add no extentions are connected to the master there is line noise as soon as the asdl handshakes, make a phone call it drops the adsl - router reconnects then the hiss and the the adsl handshaking can be heard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Well another cancelled appointment 'due to it not being booked correctly' re-booked again funny thing is the indian lady couldnt hear me due to line noise

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@flash22 wrote:

Just to add no extentions are connected to the master there is line noise as soon as the asdl handshakes, make a phone call it drops the adsl - router reconnects then the hiss and the the adsl handshaking can be heard

That would tend to indicate a missing microfilter, how is your phone connected?

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

If you have the first one then

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the noise on the phone stops.

test_socket.jpg

Remember, you will be charged if you have not connected things up correctly.

0 Ratings