Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
meglet45
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Speed drops- can anyone help me please?

I had a consistent speed of 1 MB when I got Broadband, not marvelous but bearable.  In the past year I have had my speed  drop, go through the process of the idiots with the scripts even though I have told them the same at least 10 times previously, the speed drops to 0.47 MB, they do all the stuff checks then say there is a line problem and my profile needs redoing.  The speed has risen then to 0.7 MB and never again reached 1 MB, but after a few weeks drops to 0.47 again.  I am 99% sure that BT are " robbing Peter to pay Paul" in the area, adding more people to a network using old wires and BT with all their billions of profit won’t spend a bit on adding a bit more sophistication. In answer to my question why am I not getting 1MB, I have had replies like “ it happens”, they have tried to sell me the thing where you pay a monthly fee to look at my computer, ( My computer is well protected and cleaned out daily) and they just treat people like we are at fault.

So is there anyone who can help me to bypass the stupid scripted people who treat everyone like idiots and get someone to fix the speed, the stress of going through that performance is just too much for me.

The irony is if I wanted to sign up for BT, the estimated speed available is advertised as 1 MB, are they breaking the trade description?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speed drops- can anyone help me please?

hi welcome to the forums

you ask in your post bt estimates your speed as 1mb well no they are not breaking any trades description as broadband by any provider as UP TO services if you care to post your full hub stats and a BT speed test from the links shown below someone will hen advise you further
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
0 Ratings
meglet45
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank youu for taking the time to reply, I reset router a few hours ago in case it made a difference, not that it ever does.

As requested here is the info:

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 04:26:11
Downstream896 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.1 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)69.2 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)1.3 dBm / 1.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 8
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2774 / 131
HEC Errors (Down/Up)2315 / 16
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)994 / 130

BT speed test has never worked for me, result from elsewhere:

speed today.PNG

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Can I ask what your master socket looks like and whether you're connected at it?

Different Sockets

As standard, the bell wire should be taken out of any master or extension socket as this can reduce the amount of interference your broadband can pick up and sometimes fixes the problem, see how to remove it here http://bit.ly/4LEKJg

On a long line like yours your getting an 'ok' speed.  If you try the tips and let us know which socket we can advice further.  The reason I think your speed drops is, it drops when the SNR drops in the evening and then resyncs lower because of the number of users online, hence why the SNR is slightly higher.

0 Ratings
meglet45
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

The socket is the second from the left, fitted by a BT engineer who told me there is no need for a filter in it and there are only 2 wires connected in it so I do not think there is a bell wire?

Also the speed is not variable at different times of the day, the best it is is 0.47 and as you see from the speed test it can be lower, it never goes up again to anywhere near 0.7 or 1mb unless I go through the performance of reporting it to BT, them telling me the same stuff, plugging into the test socket etc and eventually they say its a line fault at the exchange and it gets fixed for about 2 weeks then its is down yet again.  it is driving me nuts.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Then Im afraid your pretty much at the limits of broadband, and are getting a reasonable speed for your distance from the exchange.

I mean the Home Hub's not the best router on a long line there are other routers such as the Business Hub which is seen to be the best router and certainly I would confide in it, I mean I saw an extra 800kbps of sync speed, which in your case would lead to a sync speed of about 1700, and an IP profile of 1250kbps. And also my line is stable, speed doesn't drop.

But I would expect your happy with your current setup and everything.
0 Ratings
meglet45
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I cannot understand how you are saying that I should just put up with it, when I used to have a consistent speed of 1MB and now its 0.4?  Are you just agreeing with me that BT have added so many customers to old wiring my speed is affected now?

Can you use the Business hub just as  " home hub" at no extra cost?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

HI yes you can use a business hub at no extra cost looking at your hub stats you are currently connecting at 896k unfortunately without results from the bt speed tester it is difficult to advise further you are on a very long line, the line length is the factor determining your connection speed and nothing to do with BT adding other users to the network each connection goes to the local exchange over its own copper pairs from each address
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Im not telling you to put up with it. Im telling you that you're on the limits of broadband. I've told you my thoughts as to increasing speed. Not much you can do with rate adaptive broadband, things change on a line, and on a line your long it may be due to things like environmental factors, or some piece of cable has been replaced further down the line and its made a little difference. You only need another 256kbps of sync speed to get a 1000kbps (1meg) profile.
0 Ratings