cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Speed gone from 6.5mb to 1mb for the last ten days.

I was told to "wait for the line to re stabilize" Well am rather sick of waiting now. Especially since i also pay for BT vision which i have not been able to watch for the last ten days(easily verifiable) Here is my line test stats page.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
800 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 800 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1015 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 2.55:13.38:84.08 (SBE.NBE.PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
318 Kbps

0 Kbps443 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 318 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 443 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

=================================================================

some previous speeds

10th May 2011 21:09:09370 Kbps1044 Kbps
9th May 2011 18:43:06371 Kbps1060 Kbps
9th May 2011 07:35:46375 Kbps1074 Kbps
8th May 2011 22:27:49369 Kbps1092 Kbps
7th May 2011 21:37:09370 Kbps1009 Kbps
6th May 2011 04:00:15356 Kbps5384 Kbps
15th April 2011 05:33:35362 Kbps5840 Kbps
14th April 2011 18:44:23358 Kbps5845 Kbps
13th April 2011 05:05:10317 Kbps3913 Kbps

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Speed gone from 6.5mb to 1mb for the last ten days.

this is just the same speed as the last time. 

it looks like you could have a connection problem with the hub resetting or are you resetting the hub? are you connected to the test or master socket?

can you post the stats from your hub as I expect your noise nargin is very high and connection time short

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

I am not re setting the hub. I have left it just as it has always been. Nor am i connected to the master socket.

i  had to switch off yesterday to uninstall an annoying piece of software, but apprt from that i just leave it switched on all the time, as i know this is supposed to stabilise the line. As you are aware this is not the first time its happened. The first 18 months were great with no problems. then the powerline adapters needed replacing. Then all was ok for 5 or 6 months. Since then its been dropping low every 4 to 6 weeks.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 17:02:13
Downstream1,152 Kbps
Upstream443 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)31.3 dB / 25.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)41.0 dB / 22.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)45
Loss of Signal (Local)11
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)447 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)315
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

looks likethe same as last time

even though you are not resetting the hub the stats suggest that it is resetting and often which has resulted in your noise margin going very high and large drop in speed.  The exchange has now put your line in a banded profile, same as last time, to try and stabilise your connection.

I would suggest you find why your connection is resetting and the first step to help stabilise your line would be to connect to the test socket.  this will eliminate any noise problems caused by your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

How do i connect to the test socket?  Can you point me to a page explaining it please.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Did your homehub get the new firmware update on the 7th by any chance?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

if your master socket is like this  master socket.jpg  then undoing the screws and removing the bottom half will reveal the test socket.  this is your direct connection to the exchange and connecting your hub eliminates any noise from internal extensions.  it does mean than none of your extensions will work so you need to connect a phone to the filter with the hub

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

i  have no idea. How do i tell ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

the master socket is the first socket in your home after the BT wires enter from outside.  if you have a new build home then your master socket maybe a grey box fixed to an outside wall  external_NTE_1.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

My problems seem to have started since this firmware update, maybe just a coincidence though

0 Ratings