cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vogon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Speed halved after BT router change - any advise?

Go to solution

Hiya,

Some time ago, my partner and I switched from and older BT broadband account (Broadband Classic, I think) and a BT Voyager 2110 router/wireless AP to a Total Broadband account and a HomeHub 3.0.

With the Homehub 3, things initialy didn't pan out to well, with the thing re-synching every 30 mins or so for ages and ages (Weeks!).
Coincidentally, due to some building work here, we've had a new drop cable from the nearby pole and NTE/Master box fitted, and I found a dodgey microfilter that appeared to be the source of the problem. I've also inspected the somewhat dodgey extention wiring here and corrected any problems.
This has helped quite a bit, and the service is now acceptably stable. I'm finally getting the sort of 'uptime' I expect.

However, the old Voyager 2110 router used to achieve a rock-steady 6500/448 (Down, Up speeds in Kbit/s) even on the old drop wire and extention cabling.
The new HH3's 'helpdesk' text and connection details show the HH3 is only acheiving up/down bandwitch of 1050/3070Kb, which is much less that before.
I tried putting the 'old' voyager 2110 router back only to find this got the same sort of speeds, not the faster connection we used to get using this box.
In both cases, the router was connected to the ADSL port of a microfilter connected directly to the NTE, with all the extentions in the house being fed from the POTS/Phone port of the same filter. I've also tried disconnecting all the extentions so the ADSL signals are of the highest possible quality.

The BT Speedtest site returned loads of info, the most important being :
"Download speed achieved during the test was - 2301 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3068 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1104 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps"

This suggests to me that there is some sort of configuration profile etc. in place that 'caps' our down/up speeds to values significantly less than we experienced with worse wiring and an older item of equipment.

Can anyone suggest a sensible method of getting BT to look at this for us? (I should point out that I've spent quite a long time on the phone to callcenter staff in India, and this has proved an awful experience and I've completely lost confidence in this method!)

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speed halved after BT router change - any advise?

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

ScotFour
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

If I read your configuration correctly namely "the router was connected to the ADSL port of a microfilter connected directly to the NTE, with all the extentions in the house being fed from the POTS/Phone port of the same filter" and thereby every other extension is channelled through that first filter, that is a fairly unusual configuration.

I also note that you have tried disconnecting the extensions to improve ADSL signal.

I think that however you rewire, you should NOT run those other extensions though the first filter. You should add a filter at the end of each extension where you have phone type equipment connected.

You should then let the HH 3 run uninterupted for the retraining period (whether you believe that is 72 hours, five days or ten days is for you to decide). I stress, do NOT reboot or disconnect the HH 3 during that period to enable the exchange and it to establish the optimum speed for the line (during that period you may observe the HH 3 resetting itself during renegotiation - that is normal).

I am sorry that I cannot be more certain but I feel that both of thse steps (and very specifially the uninterupted training period) may produce a positive result. I share your sense of frustration wth the offshore help desk arrangements.

Good luck

+++###+++
If you feel the problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and confrm the fix or post any other solution. It helps those who really need it to judge whether it works or not.
Also, mark the thread solved
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

your connection has also been upgraded to 21CN which you can confirm by checking your HH3 and the modulation is now either 992.3 or 992.5.  This is far more aggressive on any noise on your line and posting your HH3 adsl stats will help forum members provide suggestions to improve your connection.

It may be that even if your connection shows 21CN your downstream has not changed even though your upstream has - you may need to agree a new contract to get the full benefit.

Running all the extensions from the 1 filter must make a large number of cables lying across the floor - is the master socket NTE5 the only socket in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vogon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Folks.

Thanks for all the positive suggestions. Here's some feedback on a person-by-person basis :-

FEEDBACK

* john46
Thanks for the tip, the 'Quiet Line' test revealed what I hoped for - a quiet line.
RogerB's post was most useful as well - full of 'common electrical sense'.

* ScotFour
The extention wiring in the house is not wired in a 'star' configuration where each ext is wired in paralell, but in series...meaning there is effectively one long 4-core cable with sockets connected at irregular intervals.
This was the reason I fed all the extentions from one filter - connecting one end of the 'phone wiring to the filter's POTS port and the router to the ADSL port isolates ALL sockets on the cable from the ADSL signal.
I thought that was the best thing to do as the Mrs occasionally moves phones and not the filters 🙂

The tip about leaving things stable for a while (the 'uninterupted training period') seems to have been effective - see the stats below.

* imjolly
Thanks for the info re the increased agressiveness towards noise. I didn't realise the 21CN DSLAMs/Process introduced this!
I hadn't noticed the modulation change either - I'm pretty sure it used to be reported as G.DMT, but I can't remember if that was on the 'old' Voyager or not...I can't definitely remember the HH3 every saying G.DMT 🙂
(If I'd been involved in testing the 21CN data side of things rather than the Voice call-control side of things, maybe I would have!)
As for running lots of cables around, I hope my answer to ScotFour above explains the situation - there's one cable running round the house with sockets along it.

CURRENT STATUS

It looks like something good is happening - I checked earlier on this morning, and saw that I had an uptime of about 36hrs with a DS speed of 7.92Mb and an upstream speed of about the same as before (Faulty memory on my part!).
As I write this, the ADSL stats are currently :-

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 00:18:44
Downstream:    8.931 Mbps
Upstream:    1.025 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):    15.1 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    26.9 dB / 15.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    347 / 21715
CRC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 539
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 3336
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    77 / 57973

If I remember correctly, the noise margin figures are pretty good, right? The Downstream FEC/CRC / HEC counts don't seem to be too much of a problem, and the upstream ones (whilst not perfect and still increasing) are not going up at an enormous rate.

I guess time will tell what I end up with and how stable it is....I will keep an eye on what happens and post again with any news.

Regards and thanks again.
Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

your noise margin down of 15 is still high as normal about 6.  as line settles the noise margin should drop to nearer normal with a corresponding increase in your down speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vogon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Folks.

Things have improved, service wise. The connection seems to have stabilised, with a current uptime of iver 5 days.

The noise figures have changed quite a bit, with the most improvement in the upstream values, albeit at the expense of a bit of upstream speed.

Here are the the current stats in case anyone wants to comment.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:	Connected
Connection time:	5 days, 22:43:06
Downstream:	8.739 Mbps
Upstream:	830 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:	0/38
Type:	PPPoA
Modulation:	G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:	Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):	14.8 dB / 12.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):	27.0 dB / 15.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):	20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):	450087 / 2395
CRC Events (Down/Up):	347 / 1395
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):	3866 / 1268
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):	326 / 59196

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

as your connection is now stable I would email the mods and get your noise margin reset to 6 which will improve your connection speed, increase your profile and increase your download speed  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

vogon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Folks.

I followed imjolly's suggestion of emailing the moderators, and after a fairly short time I received a reply saysing thay had indeed adjusted the target noise figures for my connection.
I checked on the homehub, and it was reporting circa 12Mbit downstream and just over 1M upstream. Much improved!
The latency type had also changed to fast mode, but later reverted to interleaved.
This was a few days ago now - I've been waiting for a period of stability before reporting back here 🙂

Todays's stats are :-

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:	Connected
Connection time:	2 days, 03:45:23
Downstream:	13.8 Mbps
Upstream:	1.025 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:	0/38
Type:	PPPoA
Modulation:	G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:	Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):	5.7 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):	26.8 dB / 15.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):	20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):	33540062 / 2318
CRC Events (Down/Up):	1763 / 626
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):	0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):	25619 / 1190
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):	92168 / 61292

The upstream and downstream speeds I'm getting are fine now, and the connection seems stable.
The BT speed tester now says I have down/up profiles of 12468 Kbps/1048 Kbps, which also seems consistant with the current situation.

So, I'm going to mark this issue as solved.
I'd like to say "Thanks" to the community members who responded, especially 'imjolly', who's speedy advice was invaluable.

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

connection looks good now and interleaving should help stability

thanks for nice commentSmiley Wink

0 Ratings