Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 15

Speed if moving from Sky to BT Broadband

Go to solution

Hi

I am thinking of moving from Sky to BT Broadband.

With Sky I usualy get a download connection speed of between 8-9MB using their ADSL2+ (LLU) service.

If I move to BT should I expect the same kind of download speed? Typical (Sky) line stats below;

Down        Up
SNR (dB):      7.7          8.5
Attn(dB):       43.5        25.9
Pwr(dBm):     8.5          10.6
Max(Kbps):    10440      892
Rate (Kbps):  8695        773

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Speed if moving from Sky to BT Broadband

Go to solution

check to see if your exchange is 21CN enabled  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for a quick reply. Yes, it states Loughborough is 21CN enabled.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

then it should be similar as you can see here by entering your attenuation 
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

you can also try the speedtester on the bt site

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks, fingers crossed then Smiley Wink

The speedtester will not work for me, presumably because I'm still on Sky.

BTW, I know that Sky capped my line at 9MB. Will BT do similar after the initial 10 days, but if its ends up lower, can you get them to increase it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

your speed will be whatever your line can support - no cap nor any boost- just whatever your sync is

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here but I had to mention this 😄

Sky LLU has a Target SNR of 7dB, whereas BT have a Target SNR of 6dB, meaning with BTs' equipment you should be able to sync a little faster (If your line copes with it) 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I asked the very same question in moving from O2 to BT. Won't go through all my stats but I was getting over 3.0Mb/s download and 0.9 - 1.0 Mb/s upload with O2. Thought I would get the same, my exchange 21CN etc. same as you.

Changed to BT on Monday. Download stayed similar if a bit slower. Upload DROPPED to 0.25 Mb/s. Got a support email in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Fozziebear40 wrote:

I asked the very same question in moving from O2 to BT. Won't go through all my stats but I was getting over 3.0Mb/s download and 0.9 - 1.0 Mb/s upload with O2. Thought I would get the same, my exchange 21CN etc. same as you.

Changed to BT on Monday. Download stayed similar if a bit slower. Upload DROPPED to 0.25 Mb/s. Got a support email in.

You are still in your 10 day training period so speeds will fluctuate. If you would like help on it, please start a seperate thread 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry, I appreciate the 10 days and a seperate thread, just letting the OP know. You can give my line all the 10 days you like but because it is on ADSL Max I am not going to get more than 0.448 Mb/s, why could O2 give me 0.9 Mb/s?

0 Ratings